Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for jobs without a reference watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it even worth applying for jobs without a reference?

I could get a character reference from my mum's friend, but no work references, as they wont give me one.

So what job could I get? Emptying bins?

ReputationRep:
    Emptying bins is a pretty decent job with the local council, depending on where you live, they'd want references for that as well.

The best option is doing some voluntary work and hopefully they'll give you a reference. It really is difficult applying for most jobs without one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Emptying bins is a pretty decent job with the local council, depending on where you live, they'd want references for that as well.

The best option is doing some voluntary work and hopefully they'll give you a reference. It really is difficult applying for most jobs without one.
    What about a character reference?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Yes, just apply and when they ask for references ask them what referees they would prefer. If you can't produce what they ask for, then tell them what you can offer. Employer 2 cannot refuse you a job because Employer 1 won't give a reference, but that only works if Employer 2 makes an offer 'subject to references', if you start the application saying you haven't got references or can't produce a certain reference, they can choose who they want to make an offer to.

References are only an issue once you have a job offer 'subject to references'. And if an employer refuses to give references (as opposed to will give you a reference but it is a bad one), then the receiving employer will be hard pressed to rescind an offer, they will accept another referee but you have to find one.

ReputationRep:
    Without references then you will become a filthy tramp living on the streets.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I could get a character reference from my mum's friend, but no work references, as they wont give me one.

So what job could I get? Emptying bins?
    You can also get someone like a tutor from school/college/university to give you a reference. As well as the character reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    You can also get someone like a tutor from school/college/university to give you a reference. As well as the character reference.
    My tutors don't remember me, as I graduated 3 years ago.

Should I just write to the uni anyway, I doubt they will give me a reference for a job, if I left so long ago and haven't kept in contact?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Should I just write to the uni anyway, I doubt they will give me a reference for a job, if I left so long ago and haven't kept in contact?
    What have you been doing since uni then?
    Surely there something you have done where someone can give you a reference.

You can try contacting the uni. Its worth a try.
    Also, do you attend any clubs/societies or anything where someone (such as a leader etc) could give you a reference?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

They don't have to remember you, you don't have to have kept in contact. It's pushing it a bit because ti is unusual not to know any other adults that aren't friends or family after 3 years, but usually a uni or College will say something (though based on your academic record, not workplace skills)

ReputationRep:
    What have you been doing since uni then?
    Surely there something you have done where someone can give you a reference.

You can try contacting the uni. Its worth a try.
    Also, do you attend any clubs/societies or anything where someone (such as a leader etc) could give you a reference?
    Been working in a supermarket while trying to start up my own business.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Been working in a supermarket while trying to start up my own business.

Well someone from the supermarket can give you a reference then.

ReputationRep:
    Well someone from the supermarket can give you a reference then.
    Do you not read the thread? lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you not read the thread? lol
    Why wont they give you one??

ReputationRep:
    Why wont they give you one??
    Becuase they poster is a **** employee?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ChavLad)
    Becuase they poster is a **** employee?
    Probably

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.