Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To work out delta G im first carrying out a reaction to determine enthalpy change via Q=mcdeltaT.
    in the gibbs free energy equation is the temperature in kelvin equal to whatever my temperature change is in the mcdeltaT. And say if the temp change was -20 it would be 253K for the gibbs equation?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by User101010)
    To work out delta G im first carrying out a reaction to determine enthalpy change via Q=mcdeltaT.
    in the gibbs free energy equation is the temperature in kelvin equal to whatever my temperature change is in the mcdeltaT. And say if the temp change was -20 it would be 253K for the gibbs equation?
    Temperature change is a difference and so the units do not matter (as 1 degree celsius change = 1 Kelvin change)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Temperature change is a difference and so the units do not matter (as 1 degree celsius change = 1 Kelvin change)
    So do I use the final temperature say if went from 35 to 25 is use 298k
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    So do I use the final temperature say if went from 35 to 25 is use 298k
    Q=mcΔT

You are using the temperature change.It does not matter whether you record the values in Celsius or Kelvin.

ReputationRep:
    If the temperature went from 10 to 25 degrees what value would I use for T in the Gibbs free energy equation

ReputationRep:
    If temp. goes from 35 oC to 25 oC, that's a change of 35-25=10 oC.

If temp. goes from 308 K to 298 K, that's a change of 308-298=10 K.

They're the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I know they are the same but I am asking do I use the change for T in gibbs equation or what the final temp is
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I know they are the same but I am asking do I use the change for T in gibbs equation or what the final temp is
    You are clearly getting mixed up with two different issues.

You have to work out the enthalpy change of a reaction. Do it using E=mcΔT

Then you use your value for the enthalpy change, which does not vary with temperature (to a close approximation) with entropy values at a specific temperature (usually 298K) to find Gibbs free energy for that specified temperature.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.