Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Feel such a moron today I went for a meal with my friends to Sheffield city centre id never drove there in mylife ( I didnt have a drink or aanything with the meal just so people know ) driving one of my friends to meadowhall to get a bus I was going along at 30 when my friend shouted wow its red turns out id gone through a red light I put the brakes on harshly but effectively to stop just after the line so the traffic turn across my oath could do so I then when it was clear continued to the other side before the light showed green in order to stop any further disruption ..... im proper panicing I dont know what to do with myself losing my license and car would mean id have to quit my new job and also my dad would more than likely disown me (not an exaggeration) I suppose the question is whats the chances I was caught and what will the the penalty if I was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joedaltonchamp)
    Feel such a moron today I went for a meal with my friends to Sheffield city centre id never drove there in mylife ( I didnt have a drink or aanything with the meal just so people know ) driving one of my friends to meadowhall to get a bus I was going along at 30 when my friend shouted wow its red turns out id gone through a red light I put the brakes on harshly but effectively to stop just after the line so the traffic turn across my oath could do so I then when it was clear continued to the other side before the light showed green in order to stop any further disruption ..... im proper panicing I dont know what to do with myself losing my license and car would mean id have to quit my new job and also my dad would more than likely disown me (not an exaggeration) I suppose the question is whats the chances I was caught and what will the the penalty if I was
    Red light cameras trigger when both sets of wheels are in a danger zone; normally over the junction line. Did you see a flash though? No flash, no problem at all. Calm yourself down a little bit. Even in daylight you can see the cameras flash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Red light cameras trigger when both sets of wheels are in a danger zone; normally over the junction line. Did you see a flash though? No flash, no problem at all. Calm yourself down a little bit. Even in daylight you can see the cameras flash.
    The friends who were in the car claim they didnt see a flash and not to worry theyve done it alot of times but they mean like its just turned red and gone through I believe the light was red for a while.... I was in to much of a panic to notice im a safe driver all the time wont take people out if im a little tired and things like that it was a freak event for me I just didnt see the lights as I assumed it was just a one way carriageway on my side

ReputationRep:
    The friends who were in the car claim they didnt see a flash and not to worry theyve done it alot of times but they mean like its just turned red and gone through I believe the light was red for a while.... I was in to much of a panic to notice im a safe driver all the time wont take people out if im a little tired and things like that it was a freak event for me I just didnt see the lights as I assumed it was just a one way carriageway on my side
    Have a cuppa and calm the nerves haha. Even if you're looking at the floor in your car you'll see the flash. The flash bulbs on those cameras are like flood lights. The camera's are enabled as soon as the light turns red. I'd put money on that you're absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    Have a cuppa and calm the nerves haha. Even if you're looking at the floor in your car you'll see the flash. The flash bulbs on those cameras are like flood lights. The camera's are enabled as soon as the light turns red. I'd put money on that you're absolutely fine.
    Thank you mate honestly I dont know what id do if I lost my license or car .... just incase you have any idea at the penalty id be looking at ?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you mate honestly I dont know what id do if I lost my license or car .... just incase you have any idea at the penalty id be looking at ?
    First time offenders is normally £100-200 and 3 points. Repeat offenders, it can go to £1000 I think.

Don't worry though, you didn't trigger a camera, even if there was one.

ReputationRep:
    First time offenders is normally £100-200 and 3 points. Repeat offenders, it can go to £1000 I think.

Don't worry though, you didn't trigger a camera, even if there was one.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    ^He knows what he's talking about.

Most red light systems aren't fitted with cameras, and those that are are noticeably so. I'd say you did the right thing by stopping and giving way to prioritised traffic (though theoretically if you're past the line you're committed, and should continue).

Don't sweat it, put it down to experience, and learn from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danty)
    ^He knows what he's talking about.

Most red light systems aren't fitted with cameras, and those that are are noticeably so. I'd say you did the right thing by stopping and giving way to prioritised traffic (though theoretically if you're past the line you're committed, and should continue).

Don't sweat it, put it down to experience, and learn from it.
    Thank you and stopping was the only accepable thing to do if I didn't id have been hit on my side by multiple cars causing a pile up as the traffic from that side was all travelling a fair old speed

ReputationRep:
    ......to stop just after the line so the traffic turn across my path could do so I then when it was clear continued to the other side before the light showed green ......
    What on earth possessed you to restart while still on a red light???

ReputationRep:
    Where I had stopped was obstructing traffic coming across the lane I had to stop to re allow the flow

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.