Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So,

I've perused the many many topics regarding this but still find myself in abit of a situation.

I've never been an apple fan and currently use a gaming pc I built myself. However coming to uni I've realised an E-ATX gaming rig is incredibly impractical and I don't even have time to game.

I've probably never liked macs because Ive not had need for one (envy too) but the more I see and use them the more I can see how much easier my uni life would be with one.

I study Microbiology so I don't need to do any rendering or use any intensive programs.

I'm used to having 120gb SSD with a very speedy RAID setup totaling about 1.5TB, along with an i5 3750k Ivy bridge CPU and 8GB 1800Mhz with a snazzy NZXT case.

Really want I'm wondering is would it be best to get a lower end air to compliment my studies or sell the rig as it doesn't get used to get a higher end pro.

Any help would be appreciated.

Louis x

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar boat however I did bring my E-ATX gaming rig with me to uni :P.

The 13 inch Pro retina would suit you fine. They came with SSDs by default so they're very quick and snappy. Also very reliable and tough. My old 13 Inch Pro is over 3 years old now and still going strong even after all the abuse I've put it through. Just stuck and SSD in it and it feels like I could easily get another 3 years out of it.

You probably don't need a Mac but if you really like them when you've used them you might as well get something you enjoy.

Don't forget about the education discount!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my rig is comofrtably sitting back at uni but I feel it's being wasted on netflix and the occasional hour on a game or two.

I've never liked laptops as they always seem to have a limited shelf-life but I feel macbooks are the exception to the rule and it'll last me. It helps that it looks very very swish.
    I can only justify the retina pro if I get rid of my rig, which will be very painful but it's probably for the best.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the Air is that they come with 4GB of RAM which isn't really acceptable now a days. So you need to spend the extra to bump it up to 8GB at which point it's nearly the same price as the retina Pro.

I'd say stay well clear of the 11 inch air if it's going to be your main device.

ReputationRep:
    If I was going to get an air it would purely be for uni work and nothing else but 7-800 pounds is abit pricey. When I can just sell my rig and get a good retina Pro.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.