Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of people not achieving the grades required to get into the course they applied for, but because of their personal statement, they were awarded a place. I was wondering how this works? Do you find out your grades on results day and then choose where you want to go or do you choose your firm which gave you a conditional offer, then get your grades and then contact them?

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you

ReputationRep:
    You choose your firm around May. When you get your grades, if you miss your firm choice, they may still choose to let you in. This could be because your grades were near the offer, or your PS.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by tnshattock)
    I've heard of people not achieving the grades required to get into the course they applied for, but because of their personal statement, they were awarded a place. I was wondering how this works? Do you find out your grades on results day and then choose where you want to go or do you choose your firm which gave you a conditional offer, then get your grades and then contact them?

Thanks
    Moving this to applications and UCAS for you
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Thanks
    You choose your Firm and Insurance in April/May http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices explains the things to think about when chosing.

On results day your universities get your grades before you do. Your firm uni will get first refusal on you (so even if you miss your firm grades if they decide to take you then you can't easily change to go to your insurance choice). The Results Day Flowchart in my signature explains what to do when on results day.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    This happened to me when I applied to uni if they like you for whatever reason (personal statement/reference/interview) then there's a chance you might still get in. I checked track and saw I'd got into my firm, then went to college to get my results and realised I'd just missed my offer. If they haven't accepted you through UCAS you can ring them and try to convince them to accept you, but I don't think that's what you're asking.

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    On results day, universities can chose to accept people who have missed their offer. They may do this for all sorts of reasons- one might be that they've just missed their grades, but have a good PS. If this happens, your place will be confirmed on track on results day.

If the university has already rejected you, then there's no benefit in contacting them, unless you have some new extenuating circumstances to make them aware of.

Basically, the university will make their decision before results day (as they will see your results earlier than you) and will inform you (via track) on results day.

There's very rarely any need for you to contact your firm/insurance on results day. You'd normally only contact your uni if you wanted to go somewhere else via adjustment/clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    On results day, universities can chose to accept people who have missed their offer. They may do this for all sorts of reasons- one might be that they've just missed their grades, but have a good PS. If this happens, your place will be confirmed on track on results day.

If the university has already rejected you, then there's no benefit in contacting them, unless you have some new extenuating circumstances to make them aware of.

Basically, the university will make their decision before results day (as they will see your results earlier than you) and will inform you (via track) on results day.

There's very rarely any need for you to contact your firm/insurance on results day. You'd normally only contact your uni if you wanted to go somewhere else via adjustment/clearing.
    So on results day, before you collect your grades, can you just log into track beforehand and look at your options?

ReputationRep:
    So on results day, before you collect your grades, can you just log into track beforehand and look at your options?
    Yes, as long as the system doesn't collapse under the weight of everyone doing it. It will tell you what decisions your universities have made if they have made them by then. If they are still deciding about you then Track will not have updated. They should have made a decision but often they won't have. It's naughty of them, but they do it. What Track also won't tell you is what your grades are, only if you have been successful or unsuccessful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Yes, as long as the system doesn't collapse under the weight of everyone doing it. It will tell you what decisions your universities have made if they have made them by then. If they are still deciding about you then Track will not have updated. They should have made a decision but often they won't have. It's naughty of them, but they do it. What Track also won't tell you is what your grades are, only if you have been successful or unsuccessful.
    What time of the day would they usually update it on track?

ReputationRep:
    What time of the day would they usually update it on track?
    It goes live at 8 am.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it will depend on your grades, the quality and "uniqueness" of your personal statement and if the universities you are aplying for are very competitive (lse, oxbridge, etc)

ReputationRep:
    Just to be totally clear, you don't really have "options" on results day. You have a firm and insurance choice. If your firm accepts you, you can only go elsewhere if you are eligible for adjustment, or by getting them to release you into clearing. If your firm rejects you, but your insurance accepts you, you can only go elsewhere if you are released into clearing. Once accepted by your firm, you don't have an automatic entitlement to a place at your insurance, for example.

Really, you make your choices before results day, and on results day, it's more about unis making choices about you (unless you chose to use adjustment, or end up in clearing).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.