Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M301 - Terrorist Attack in Paris, The Rt. Hon. tehFrance MPThis House is outraged at the terrorist attack on Charlie Hebdo offices that resulted in 12 deaths, including Charb. This terrorist attack shows that we’re not safe in our own homes, offices or country and we need to bring in tougher laws to prevent such terrorist attacks occurring in the future!

This house also calls for a unified international effort to not only curb terrorism but to eradicate it from our lives through force. These animals don’t deserve the freedoms that we afford them and should be hunted and brought to justice.

May our thoughts be with the families of the deceased and those injured, we hope for a speedy recovery and that they can get back to providing us with many more laughs in the years to come.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Agree with the first and last sentences.

We're not hunting wild animals here though, you can only really intercept and then try to stop an attack, without committing mass murder of innocent people.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Faland)
    M301 - Terrorist Attack in Paris, The Rt. Hon. tehFrance MPThis House is outraged at the terrorist attack on Charlie Hebdo offices that resulted in 12 deaths, including Charb. This terrorist attack shows that we’re not safe in our own homes, offices or country and we need to bring in tougher laws to prevent such terrorist attacks occurring in the future!

This house also calls for a unified international effort to not only curb terrorism but to eradicate it from our lives through force. These animals don’t deserve the freedoms that we afford them and should be hunted and brought to justice.

May our thoughts be with the families of the deceased and those injured, we hope for a speedy recovery and that they can get back to providing us with many more laughs in the years to come.
    No. Of course we should condemn this attack to the greatest extent possible but I don't like the tone or implications of the above motion at all. I particularly do not like the use of the words "tougher laws". I'm sick and tired of people's freedoms being eroded in the name of terrorism. Not only is it unfair, authoritarian and generally ineffective but it's achieving precisely what these terrorists aim to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    No. Of course we should condemn this attack to the greatest extent possible but I don't like the tone or implications of the above motion at all. I particularly do not like the use of the words "tougher laws". I'm sick and tired of people's freedoms being eroded in the name of terrorism. Not only is it unfair, authoritarian and generally ineffective but it's achieving precisely what these terrorists aim to achieve.
    My thoughts precisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    That middle paragraph is awful in terms of language used.
    but I would support more active terrorism watches ect. If we also let more people into the British Republic at the same time.

but anti-terrorism laws won't work as they already exist. Education and tolerance is the solution. If we do not stike back whist at tge same time helping to develop realisationships with the people these terrorists claim to stand for the terrorist propergander would not work and they would collapse in on theirselves.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, provided tougher sentences are introduced along with tougher laws. Tougher laws is vague but I fully support extended detention before trial in certain circumstances, stripping terrorists of British passports where possible, permanently or temporarily seizing passports of those convicted or those suspected, stripping terrorists of the right to reside in Britain, tougher border controls to prevent them entering Britain or leaving Britain for training, and increased surveillance of them. Armed police also need to be increased in number in preparation.

Violence should be fought with force under a zero-tolerance policy. Trying to be nice, leaving them along, trying to incorporate them into society, and treating them with respect does not work.

ReputationRep:
    [
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    My thoughts precisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Violence should be fought with force under a zero-tolerance policy. Trying to be nice, leaving them along, trying to incorporate them into society, and treating them with respect does not work.
    Just going to deal with this bit.

i would use tge old saying
    an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless
    And how would you know? Have you ever tried to be nice to a terrorist? Rehabilitation always works better then punishment. To just want to see people suffer is not only inhumane but it does not act as a deter ant when people are prepared to die for their cause. Instead we destroy the message in tge propogander then destroying people who are manipulTed by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Just going to deal with this bit.

i would use tge old saying

And how would you know? Have you ever tried to be nice to a terrorist? Rehabilitation always works better then punishment. To just want to see people suffer is not only inhumane but it does not act as a deter ant when people are prepared to die for their cause. Instead we destroy the message in tge propogander then destroying people who are manipulTed by it.
    Of course it is not an eye for an eye. I am not calling for the death penalty here. My point is, if someone is convicted of terrorism they should either have their passport seized preventing them from escaping Britain after their tougher sentence ends, or if possible, they should be deported with no right of appeal, and never be allowed to re-enter Britain.

The country as a whole is nice to terrorists. We afford them the same privileges as everyone else, even when MI5 suspect them of plotting something, until they commit a crime in which case we arrest them, send them to a prison, which is more like a holiday camp, release them, and continue affording them the same privileges they had before.

Rehabilitation should come after a punishment. The people can serve prison sentences for years with the last few dedicated to in-prison rehabilitation. It is not a case of choosing one or the other, it is a case of choosing to do both. Rehabilitation and education is a fantasists dream, involving going against religion, undoing years of indoctrination, and changing our culture to fit in line with their culture more. The terrorists believe their God is telling them to kill people, they have a hatred against our way of living, and our culture. You speak of tolerance on our part but I could not disagree more. Some extremists are guests in our country. They are bringing in their way of living trying to influence us; we should not be tolerant of them. We should reject everything they stand for. The Muslim community also needs to make a stand rejecting everything the extremists stand for. Currently the Muslim community reminds us of the peaceful majority but as history shows this majority is irrelevant. Until the Muslim community takes a firmer stand against extremism, and starts controlling what happens in their places of worship, and the British government adopts a zero-tolerance policy the problem will not improve.

ReputationRep:
    No, they say the worst time to make laws is in response to a tragedy. Realistically the only way to help prevent this is to support more investigations into radicalisation. Of course, if we took a more pacifistic approach to military intervention then I suspect this would help. That said, tragic and barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. The suffering of French civilians should not be used as an excuse to indulge bigotry, which seems to be the underlying tone of this unnecessarily provocative motion.

I'm also concerned this motion may be used to encourage the vilification of ordinary Muslims who are in no way responsible for yesterday's attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    My thoughts precisely.
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Same
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    Nay. The suffering of French civilians should not be used as an excuse to indulge bigotry, which seems to be the underlying tone of this unnecessarily provocative motion.

I'm also concerned this motion may be used to encourage the vilification of ordinary Muslims who are in no way responsible for yesterday's attack.
    Ditto.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Agreed.

To the person that suggested there was bigotry, where? I don't see it anywhere and there was no intention of being a bigot in terms of this motion, I merely want terrorism eradicated, there's no specifics as to whether it's Islamist or Christian terrorism.

We do need tougher laws with tougher sentences, forget rehabilitation though, these people are animals and cannot be tamed.

Tougher laws also doesn't equal erosion of personal liberties as those not in the wrong will not be targeted, if they are then they're clearly suspicious and up to no good in the first place.

These attacks just go to show how easy it is for terrorists to operate within our own borders which is a disgrace, just like the attacks of 7/7 and the Lee Rigby murder. More needs to be done in order to crush those that wish us harm when all we do is welcome them and offer them a fantastic life.

I for one am fed up of the terrorists and feel that armed police should become more common place, these people aren't criminals they're sick, disgusting terrorists!!

#JeSuisCharlie
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not gonns quote.
    To all those of the right (wrong) persuasion.
    Fighting violence with violence doesn't work.
    When the person is ready to be martyred tougher laws won't work.
    This motion is reactionary and pointless.
    We have to not react at all. They will lose all power over their supporters if we do nothing. no 'war on terror' no striking them down. Just do not move.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We must stand united in the wake of terrorists.

We mustn't let these animals remove our freedom of speech. We must not let people put fear in our lives, our freedom and our rights!

Liberté, égalité, fraternité
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I agree about standing against terrorism but it's pointless trying to wipe them out. We tried once, look where it got us. Sure if we threw enough forces at it we'd be able to kill all the terrorists but we'd also give them more cause to hate us. I accept terrorism is a big problem but half of them are just desperate for us to listen and hear them out. I studied a few terrorist organisations and from what I can see, if we had listened in the first place we could've come to a compromise. Half the things they ask for look understandable anyway (minus a few).

Terrorism is a huge problem but blowing them up is not the solution, after all you can't kill an idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Half the things they ask for look understandable anyway (minus a few).
    Please enlighten me to what is reasonable.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Aye. I think that the language in places may be perhaps not to the tastes of some, but this is an emotive subject and as such, this is understandable. I also would like to take this opportunity to utterly condemn the attack and join with others in the House in sending my sincerest condolences to the French people.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Please enlighten me to what is reasonable.
    Well one example that pops up from GCSE history was that Al-Qaeda wanted less western influence. That's fair enough isn't it? Yes there are other conditions not so reasonable, but a compromise could be struck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.