Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, currently I'm deciding on whether to firm either Warwick or UCL. They're both great universities and I'd be happy to go to either one, but Warwick is a little too close to home for me, on the other hand I've been told that London is very expensive to live in.

So I was wondering if anyone who has been to university in London can paint a clearer picture for me about the extent of living costs? Some figures would be helpful if possible, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to give figures because prices can vary a lot.

Accommodation is the killer really, unless you're willing to share a twin room. Even the cheapest halls at UCL eg Max Rayne are about £130 pw, which I assume is what you'll be paying for top-tier accommodation at Warwick.

Drinking/food is likely to be a bit more expensive but I don't think it's as bad as people make out. If you shop sensibly (eg online orders for the week from asda etc will be cheap) and don't buy too many drinks when out (predrink well).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    It's hard to give figures because prices can vary a lot.

Accommodation is the killer really, unless you're willing to share a twin room. Even the cheapest halls at UCL eg Max Rayne are about £130 pw, which I assume is what you'll be paying for top-tier accommodation at Warwick.

Drinking/food is likely to be a bit more expensive but I don't think it's as bad as people make out. If you shop sensibly (eg online orders for the week from asda etc will be cheap) and don't buy too many drinks when out (predrink well).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah alright, that was helpful, thank you! This is at the university you're talking about right? I'm assuming living outside of uni accommodation is even worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taeyangie)
    Ah alright, that was helpful, thank you! This is at the university you're talking about right? I'm assuming living outside of uni accommodation is even worse?
    Yes, I go to UCL.

I think for second year you need to look further out but I suppose you get more choice in terms of price depending on location, size and standards of accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Yes, I go to UCL.

I think for second year you need to look further out but I suppose you get more choice in terms of price depending on location, size and standards of accommodation.
    Oh right okay, that's great thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Also - if you are willing to live a little outside zones 1 and 2 you can find decent accommodation. Though things cost more here, you are also likely to have access to better paying part time work. Another thing to consider is the weekly/monthly Oyster card and if you will need one. If you live close to campus you might walk to class, but it is likely that you will need a travel card. check out tfl for costs and be sure to include it in your budgeting.

ReputationRep:
    London is amazing. Even with the money struggles I wouldn't change my choice ever. I've had the best time here and met so many great people. LONDON BABY

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.