Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was discussing supplements with two of my house mates today and we got onto the topic of how long it might be possible to tolerate a supplement only diet. This led us to the idea of a little wager. We decided that we would all attempt to live only on products available from the MyProtein website (www.myprotein.com), with the exceptions of water, milk, and any essential medications.

My question to you is, from the products available from MyProtein, which ones are absolutely necessary as part of my diet and which ones might be desirable to help me to tolerate this diet for longer?

I realise this is not healthy or achievable in the long term. I fully expect to quit within a few days of starting and would be surprised if the others didn't do the same, but since I'm going to do it anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you could provide in terms of which products to use.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    On scales 1- stupid

It is very much the latter

You'll need everything with fibre in it just to make sure you're actually able to go to the toilet

Vitamin and mineral supplements would be needed if you're planning on getting towards a week.

And even then this would still be lacking in every micronutrient going I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with MyProtein's current range that's not even a challenge provided you can afford it. I kind of assume the above poster has never been on MP's website in the last year since it wouldn't even be a supplement only diet. You'd just be eating healthier versions of the ready meals regular people live on anyway and you could do it indefinitely.

Your challenge is still kind of dumb because..... just why would you want to do this?

Anyway if money isn't an issue just order the protein ready meals, some whole egg powder, maybe one of the cereals and just have cereal for breakfast, ready meal at lunch and scrambled eggs at dinner.

To answer your question about a supplement only diet, people do like a month on the velocity diet, so that is obviously possible.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    To be honest with MyProtein's current range that's not even a challenge provided you can afford it. I kind of assume the above poster has never been on MP's website in the last year since it wouldn't even be a supplement only diet. You'd just be eating healthier versions of the ready meals regular people live on anyway and you could do it indefinitely.

Your challenge is still kind of dumb because..... just why would you want to do this?

Anyway if money isn't an issue just order the protein ready meals, some whole egg powder, maybe one of the cereals and just have cereal for breakfast, ready meal at lunch and scrambled eggs at dinner.

To answer your question about a supplement only diet, people do like a month on the velocity diet, so that is obviously possible.
    I've been in it. The lack of any fruit or vegetable would be reasonably terrible for fibre content amongst micro nutrient deficiencies aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They sell dried fruit though.

That's immaterial, because as I said you'd be getting a pretty similar diet to the average person who doesn't eat a ton of fruit and vegetables anyway, eats a lot of ready meals and doesn't take a fiber supplement. If the bet is simply who can last with those products, then lasting indefinitely is almost certainly possible. Especially since they also sell both fibre supplements and multivits. So you'd be living pretty much just without vegetables. Most people I know call that "university," so if you really don't think someone could survive a week you have pretty much no clue about anything.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    They sell dried fruit though.

That's immaterial, because as I said you'd be getting a pretty similar diet to the average person who doesn't eat a ton of fruit and vegetables anyway, eats a lot of ready meals and doesn't take a fiber supplement. If the bet is simply who can last with those products, then lasting indefinitely is almost certainly possible. Especially since they also sell both fibre supplements and multivits. So you'd be living pretty much just without vegetables. Most people I know call that "university," so if you really don't think someone could survive a week you have pretty much no clue about anything.
    He could do it for a week, no problem. I'm just saying its stupid. Wasn't aware of dried fruit; fair play if it does.

It might be a common uni experience; however that doesn't justify it as okay, nor healthy.

Also as you pointed out its unreal expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.