Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What car to get? Almost 20 and want to drive for the first time Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

I'm almost turning 20 this month i passed my driving practical in the summer of 2013. So i've almost held my license for 2 years now without doing anything with it.

I'm currently a second year University student and I really want to drive soon.

I was wondering what car should I get as my first? My budget for the car is around ~£1500 max. I don't want to spend anymore as its only my first car.

For the insurance, i've checked out a ford KA 1.3 as an example and it came out to be 1.3k for 10 months (the year) quoted by tiger rinsurance. Is that expensive at all? I have no knowledge of insurance and how it works and stuff :/

I earn about £250-£300 from my part-time job each month so I could technically afford the insurance.

Any insight how to drive cheaply and about the car business (what are good cars, what are not etc) would be great!

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Go for a car in a lower insurance group that isn't involved in a lot of crashes. If you go with a common car that is involved in a lot of crashes then this can cause your insurance premium to be higher. When it comes to your first car, unless you have money to splash, you really want to be investing in something that keeps your premium down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Auto)
    Go for a car in a lower insurance group that isn't involved in a lot of crashes. If you go with a common car that is involved in a lot of crashes then this can cause your insurance premium to be higher. When it comes to your first car, unless you have money to splash, you really want to be investing in something that keeps your premium down.
    thanks for the reply

are a ford KA or a peugeot 206 common cars invovled in a lot of crashes?

if so would you have any recommendations in mind and also, would you know what is considerered cheap insurance for a first time driver like me?

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Insurance cost is not really comparable. The best way to find out is to ask a young driver who lives in your neighbourhood as they're most likely to match your circumstances. Everything from the car, to your area, to you and your driving experience are considered. Noone can give you a ballpark figure of what you should expect to pay - but remember that it pays to shop around.

Look on Ebay at the cars that you'd want to buy. Take a reg or two, and get quotes for those cars with price comparison websites (confused.com, comparethemarket.com, gocompare.com, and moneysupermarket.com)

Once you know what you want, I'd suggest getting a price or two from some local direct insurance companies, as they can quite often be cheaper and will try to beat your best quote from the price comparison sites.

~Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxicated)
    Hey all!

I'm almost turning 20 this month i passed my driving practical in the summer of 2013. So i've almost held my license for 2 years now without doing anything with it.

I'm currently a second year University student and I really want to drive soon.

I was wondering what car should I get as my first? My budget for the car is around ~£1500 max. I don't want to spend anymore as its only my first car.

For the insurance, i've checked out a ford KA 1.3 as an example and it came out to be 1.3k for 10 months (the year) quoted by tiger rinsurance. Is that expensive at all? I have no knowledge of insurance and how it works and stuff :/

I earn about £250-£300 from my part-time job each month so I could technically afford the insurance.

Any insight how to drive cheaply and about the car business (what are good cars, what are not etc) would be great!

Many thanks!
    I don't know whether this is credible or not but i remember being told sticking with cars under a 1.4l engine is good for new drivers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.