Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody received an email confirming they have to ring up for an interview?
    Has anybody previously been to an interview?
    Need some prep help thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview on Saturday for Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jared44)
    I have an interview on Saturday for Computer Science.
    Oh cool, how was it? What did you do?

ReputationRep:
    It was good, thanks.
    We first had a tour of the University, then we went into a room and programmed some robots to have a race, then we took a small test to see how we approach logical problems, followed by the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, nice to hear, sounds like you had a blast. I've got a interview in the 14th of Feb! Lol any tips? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No not really, just be yourself. Whatever you do, don't lie, you can exaggerate a bit though.
    As long as you didn't put any false information in your personal statement you'll be fine. They will pick a couple of points out of your PS and ask you about it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right thanks for that, is there a specific dress code?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just dress smartly, jeans and a shirt is good. I wore a suit... let's just say I stood out.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right cool, centre of attention eyh lol are you starting the course in September then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for an offer at the moment, I'm hoping so.
    The problem is I am retaking English and Maths to meet the entry requirements, I am also taking a BTEC which is easy, so that's alright.
    I currently have a D in English and a C in Maths, both of which are one grade lower than the minimum requirements.
    All going well, I should be able to get in. I would love to stay in the accommodation, although that isn't possible as I can't get a high enough loan. My parents have a high amount of income, but they aren't willing to pay anything towards university. So I'm on my own.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good luck im sure you'll be fine, but as of 2015 entry requirements im pretty sure all you need is a grade c in maths and English in GCSE? I originally wanted to do computer science but then rung Hallam up (due do me only having a C in gsce maths) I asked them if I will have to retake and they said to me if I want to do computer science then yes but if I don't, theres software engineering which is similar and for that you need at GCSE grade C or above in maths and English minimum.
    Oh that's sounds a bit roughy, why where are you coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They probably do, it wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I'm still waiting on an actual offer.

I'm from Dronfield, about 8 miles south of Sheffield. So it isn't far away.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right cool well good luck anyways mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just thought I'd input into this conversation, i've applied for BEng SE at SHU also and had my interview yesterday.
    I was told i'm getting an offer after the interview but i won't find out what it is until it's sent through ucas later in the week.

For us, they took the games development people away first then all the SE and CS applicants were put together to do the same exercises as mentioned before.
    Robot programming
    Tour
    Interview (inc logical problems)

You needn't worry about anything though. The robot programming is literally just move the tire at 255,255 then adjust a bit because of the uneven ground, we were told this wasn't accessed at all, just to give us a taste of programming so it isn't really important if you already know for sure you like programming.
    the tour is self explanatory
    the logical problems may seem important but a current student told us the only reason they give us the questions is to give us something to do while we wait to be interviewed but even so, most of the questions are just "write an algorithm for making tea and cooking beans on toast"... the hardest thing was probably the reverse polish notation question but that's a level computing and all it is really is saying that you read the 2 numbers before the operation
    so the question 2+3
    would be read by a computer as 23+... so it wasn't at all hard

So it's not anything to worry about. Basically everyone that turns up gets an offer says the lecturer that I spoke to, so don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you've helped me a lot more than I expected, it's much appreciated I guess it's nothing to worry about then. I've got my interview on February 14th so will see how I get on with that! So hopefully will see you in September thanks again mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Everyone will get an offer, unless you headbutt the interviewer"

(Original post by nukacolan)
    Hey, just thought I'd input into this conversation, i've applied for BEng SE at SHU also and had my interview yesterday.
    I was told i'm getting an offer after the interview but i won't find out what it is until it's sent through ucas later in the week.

For us, they took the games development people away first then all the SE and CS applicants were put together to do the same exercises as mentioned before.
    Robot programming
    Tour
    Interview (inc logical problems)

You needn't worry about anything though. The robot programming is literally just move the tire at 255,255 then adjust a bit because of the uneven ground, we were told this wasn't accessed at all, just to give us a taste of programming so it isn't really important if you already know for sure you like programming.
    the tour is self explanatory
    the logical problems may seem important but a current student told us the only reason they give us the questions is to give us something to do while we wait to be interviewed but even so, most of the questions are just "write an algorithm for making tea and cooking beans on toast"... the hardest thing was probably the reverse polish notation question but that's a level computing and all it is really is saying that you read the 2 numbers before the operation
    so the question 2+3
    would be read by a computer as 23+... so it wasn't at all hard

So it's not anything to worry about. Basically everyone that turns up gets an offer says the lecturer that I spoke to, so don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview last Saturday, wasn't that bad tbh was nothing to be worried about & my interviewer really was a genuine guy making me feel more than welcome. I got my offer today through UCAS 2 days after the interview, also I got put down by the interviewer for a MSc alternate course software engineering which I believe is the integrated masters degree. Anybody else been offered this or can relate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.