Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The sad things in life! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's the saddest memories in life that make us the happiest.

Sometimes it's the happiest memories in life that make us the saddest.

I remember when I was 13 my parents gave me both a rabbit and a guinea-pig as a birthday present. Obviously I was over the moon. I spent time stroking them every day. I watched them play in their hutch. I cleaned them and cleaned their hutch. I fed them salad when it was left over. They were like my best friends.

When I was 16 I came home to find them gone. Upon asking my parents they told me that my pets had just gone to the dentist. It turned out they had passed away within hours of eachother when I was at school.

I know my parents lied to avoid the pain, but the pain was worse because my parents lied.

This was one of the sad things in my life, however the time I spent with my beloved animal friends was one of the happy things in my life.

What makes you sad in life and why?

ReputationRep:
    None of my past experiences cause me to feel sadness or regret.

There is no point dwelling on the past as you cannot change it, the only thing you can do is learn from your experiences and move on.

**** happens.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why parents lie in situations like this. You're going to find out eventually.

ReputationRep:
    People changing into something they promised they'd never change into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrode)
    People changing into something they promised they'd never change into.
    I promised that I wouldn't become a beanbag. It hasn't happened yet, but who knows what might happen in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    None of my past experiences cause me to feel sadness or regret.

There is no point dwelling on the past as you cannot change it, the only thing you can do is learn from your experiences and move on.

**** happens.
    If only we were all emotionless robots, we might be better off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorraFoinix)
    If only we were all emotionless robots, we might be better off.
    You can be sad at the time it happens and a period after, but in the end you just need to get over it. It doesn't benefit anyone to cling on to the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minun)
    I don't understand why parents lie in situations like this. You're going to find out eventually.
    I figure it's some kind of unplanned slightly warped protection from the harsh realities of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You can be sad at the time it happens and a period after, but in the end you just need to get over it. It doesn't benefit anyone to cling on to the past.
    I disagree. The past is all the memories you hold onto whether sad or not. If these memories can allow you to feel human and give you belief that you've achieved something with your life, I would view them as beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. The past is all the memories you hold onto whether sad or not. If these memories can allow you to feel human and give you belief that you've achieved something with your life, I would view them as beneficial.
    I never said you should forget them. I said people need to get over them. There is a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Exams! I have one in 5 hours and I feel so unprepared. :bawling:

You're lucky your parents found your pets before you did. Years ago my rabbit died and before my family got rid of it I saw it and held it's corpse. The other week I found one of my guinea pigs dead and had to call my mum to take him away. You're lucky your parents lied to you. The alternative is worse than you can imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    You're lucky your parents found your pets before you did. Years ago my rabbit died and before my family got rid of it I saw it and held it's corpse. The other week I found one of my guinea pigs dead and had to call my mum to take him away. You're lucky your parents lied to you. The alternative is worse than you can imagine.
    Agreed. I loved my very first parrot so much and I had to see it die in my father's hands.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's the saddest memories in life that make us the happiest.

Sometimes it's the happiest memories in life that make us the saddest.

I remember when I was 13 my parents gave me both a rabbit and a guinea-pig as a birthday present. Obviously I was over the moon. I spent time stroking them every day. I watched them play in their hutch. I cleaned them and cleaned their hutch. I fed them salad when it was left over. They were like my best friends.

When I was 16 I came home to find them gone. Upon asking my parents they told me that my pets had just gone to the dentist. It turned out they had passed away within hours of eachother when I was at school.

I know my parents lied to avoid the pain, but the pain was worse because my parents lied.

This was one of the sad things in my life, however the time I spent with my beloved animal friends was one of the happy things in my life.

What makes you sad in life and why?
    Not sure I quite understand those first two lines. The story you gave did have a sad ending, but I think the word you're looking for here is bittersweet. You remember the time you had with your rabbit, those are happy memories and they make you happy, but you know that the happiness eventually ends, that's the bittersweet bit. The death of them does not make you happy, does it?

Not a lot of personal experiences make me sad, things happen for their reasons and once I accept that it was for the best then I no longer feel sad about it. Things that happen to other people however make me sad, I suppose it's partially to do with me constantly wanting to help people and then realising I'm helpless and pretty much useless for making them feel better makes me sad. Yeah I know it sounds like I want to be the superhero, I just don't like people being sad, if I know that they're getting help from someone else and they're feeling better it makes me happy too so it's not really the 'I want to be the hero' thing.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.