Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Opened in temporary account - Windows 8 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello

So I installed some updates last night, restarted the laptop, used it for a couple of hours and then turned it off. I turned it back on this morning and it signed me into a temporary account, no sign of my documents etc at all, just programs I'd installed. It said I could try signing out and trying again, so mid-panic attack, I did.

I've actually signed in just fine. I logged out and was presented with the password screen which I didn't get to when I turned it on, and now I'm in my regular account. I don't really know what to do or think. I don't really understand why this happened, or if it'll happen again and if it will, if I'll be able to get back to my stuff as easily.

I put the problem into Google and it may be because I'm still panicking a bit that I haven't been able to take anything in, but it seems that a lot of the responses are along the lines of 'do all this stuff by going to admin settings and command prompt etc etc enter these lines and you can get access to your documents but not the account'. There seems to be a few suggestions of setting up a new admin account or something? I don't understand why? I had an easy time getting back to my account, but does this mean I might not next time?

So if anyone could impart some knowledge and/or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sliceofcake)
    Hello

So I installed some updates last night, restarted the laptop, used it for a couple of hours and then turned it off. I turned it back on this morning and it signed me into a temporary account, no sign of my documents etc at all, just programs I'd installed. It said I could try signing out and trying again, so mid-panic attack, I did.
    I've seen this error before. It's a pain in the backside.

I've actually signed in just fine. I logged out and was presented with the password screen which I didn't get to when I turned it on, and now I'm in my regular account. I don't really know what to do or think. I don't really understand why this happened, or if it'll happen again and if it will, if I'll be able to get back to my stuff as easily.
    You got lucky there! It happens because Windows, at that point in time, believed that your Windows User profile had been deleted or corrupt. I'd probably bet the updates messed with something that got fixed in a reboot.

I put the problem into Google and it may be because I'm still panicking a bit that I haven't been able to take anything in, but it seems that a lot of the responses are along the lines of 'do all this stuff by going to admin settings and command prompt etc etc enter these lines and you can get access to your documents but not the account'. There seems to be a few suggestions of setting up a new admin account or something? I don't understand why? I had an easy time getting back to my account, but does this mean I might not next time?
    I'd go with adding another admin account to your PC, so that if you cannot log in to your profile, you can log in to another profile which has access to the administrative side of things.

You will not lose access to your files whatever happens. Even if you can't log on at all, there are ways and means to access them, though I would always recommend taking a regular backup of your important data.

So if anyone could impart some knowledge and/or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Any other questions about this, just let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I've seen this error before. It's a pain in the backside.

You got lucky there! It happens because Windows, at that point in time, believed that your Windows User profile had been deleted or corrupt. I'd probably bet the updates messed with something that got fixed in a reboot.

I'd go with adding another admin account to your PC, so that if you cannot log in to your profile, you can log in to another profile which has access to the administrative side of things.

You will not lose access to your files whatever happens. Even if you can't log on at all, there are ways and means to access them, though I would always recommend taking a regular backup of your important data.

Any other questions about this, just let me know!
    Thank you very much for your response! Judging by the Google results I saw earlier, I realised how lucky I was! I'm absolutely terrified of turning my computer off now just in case it comes back on with a 'game over' message.

I'll definitely add another admin account just in case this does happen again. I do do a regular back up but I'm currently in the exam period so I would really rather not have to go through the effort of dealing with my computer flushing itself.

I know it's not entirely relevant to the topic, but I'll ask you this just in case you know or if you can provide some reassurance! A message popped up onto my laptop saying that I'm now able to install Windows 8.1 and all I have to do is restart. I selected it to ask me again later (I think it meant tomorrow) because a) I didn't ask for it (and it'll take 30-45 minutes) and b) I'm a bit put off by updates at the moment! It won't bugger me again will it?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your response! Judging by the Google results I saw earlier, I realised how lucky I was! I'm absolutely terrified of turning my computer off now just in case it comes back on with a 'game over' message.

I'll definitely add another admin account just in case this does happen again. I do do a regular back up but I'm currently in the exam period so I would really rather not have to go through the effort of dealing with my computer flushing itself.

I know it's not entirely relevant to the topic, but I'll ask you this just in case you know or if you can provide some reassurance! A message popped up onto my laptop saying that I'm now able to install Windows 8.1 and all I have to do is restart. I selected it to ask me again later (I think it meant tomorrow) because a) I didn't ask for it (and it'll take 30-45 minutes) and b) I'm a bit put off by updates at the moment! It won't bugger me again will it?
    I'd never guarantee a clean update to Windows 8.1, but I do think you should go for it. IT makes Windows 8 less horrible.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.