Turn on thread page Beta

Someone educate me on Accountancy. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically, Im thinking whether to go into accountancy as a career as a backup.
    A financial 9-5 job as always being appealing if my main plan doesn't go to plan (scientist).

Obviously, I only want to go into it if im interested in it, I dont want to be over populating the graduate market for no reason aha :P

But yeh, I will research Accounting as a subject in my own time to see if its for me but what I wanted advice on, is how one gets into accounting from a science background. From what ive read online its very common and thats where most accountants in the Big4 come from.

Can someone expand on the entry requirements and what experience you need to enter the field?

My GCSE's: A*AAABBBCC (I think, I cant even remember properly xD)
    (A was in maths)
    Alevels: A*AA (Didnt do maths alevel though)
    Degree: Chemistry at a Russell Group uni (Only first year but expected a 2:1)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ;c

ReputationRep:
    You've asked very basic questions which can be solved by a 30 minute google so that's probably why no one has responded.

Science background is fine, most backgrounds are as degree subject is not too important.
    Entry requirements:
    - 2:1 degree
    - B in GCSE Maths and English for big four
    - Usually around 300 UCAS points or more
    - No relevant experience but you'd need to be able to answer the competency questions

You're grade profile is fine. Do a little research into the field and try to go for internships next year. I also hope that if your main plain is to become a scientist then you should aim to get higher than a 2.1. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH.)
    You've asked very basic questions which can be solved by a 30 minute google so that's probably why no one has responded.

Science background is fine, most backgrounds are as degree subject is not too important.
    Entry requirements:
    - 2:1 degree
    - B in GCSE Maths and English for big four
    - Usually around 300 UCAS points or more
    - No relevant experience but you'd need to be able to answer the competency questions

You're grade profile is fine. Do a little research into the field and try to go for internships next year. I also hope that if your main plain is to become a scientist then you should aim to get higher than a 2.1. Best of luck!
    Thanks, but phD requires 2:1s. I know many people who are in research with a 2:1...
    Thanks though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.