Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I healthy/ doing enough? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a full time waitress so I work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. This leaves me very little time for myself but on my day off I go the gym and run on the treadmill for 1 hour straight.

I'm wondering if this is enough for a healthy lifestyle? Because most people are saying going the gym once a week won't be enough. The thing is in my situation I have no other options. So is the gym once a week enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sophie1994)
    I am a full time waitress so I work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. This leaves me very little time for myself but on my day off I go the gym and run on the treadmill for 1 hour straight.

I'm wondering if this is enough for a healthy lifestyle? Because most people are saying going the gym once a week won't be enough. The thing is in my situation I have no other options. So is the gym once a week enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're a waitress, you're doing plenty of walking, so there'll be no problems with your physical activity! You far exceed what you have to for a healthy lifestyle. Gym once a week is totally fine, the question that decides whether or not it'll be "healthy" is what your diet's like.

ReputationRep:
    ^^+1

And if you want to go to the gym more regularly then you could go before or after work

ReputationRep:
    if you can run for an hour you can't be that unfit unless you're really overweight I doubt you need to worry, leading a healthy lifestyle doesn't have to involve lots of specific exercise if you are generally active and healthy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    If you're a waitress, you're doing plenty of walking, so there'll be no problems with your physical activity! You far exceed what you have to for a healthy lifestyle. Gym once a week is totally fine, the question that decides whether or not it'll be "healthy" is what your diet's like.
    One of the issue is that I finish really late around 11pm. We get dinner at 5 so by the time I finish my shift I am very hungry and eat quite late. This had caused the fat below my stomach to build up.

Will the treadmill help to shrink the fat cells? And what can I do to target belly fat in the gym?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    if you can run for an hour you can't be that unfit unless you're really overweight I doubt you need to worry, leading a healthy lifestyle doesn't have to involve lots of specific exercise if you are generally active and healthy
    I'm 5foot and weigh 46kg. But I try to be as active as I can!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One of the issue is that I finish really late around 11pm. We get dinner at 5 so by the time I finish my shift I am very hungry and eat quite late. This had caused the fat below my stomach to build up.

Will the treadmill help to shrink the fat cells? And what can I do to target belly fat in the gym?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eating at night does NOT cause increased fat storage.

You can't spot reduce fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Eating at night does NOT cause increased fat storage.

You can't spot reduce fat.
    My stomach has more fat than anywhere else and I believe this is due to eating before I sleep. Before working as a full time waitress i didn't have as much belly fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My stomach has more fat than anywhere else and I believe this is due to eating before I sleep. Before working as a full time waitress i didn't have as much belly fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You may believe this to be the cause but that doesn't mean it actually is.

Your hormonal profile and genetics are what's causing the fat you've gained to initially be stored in your stomach but this has nothing to do with eating at night, its simply because on average you are eating too much. If you took the food you are eating at night and ate it in the morning, and kept every other eating habit you have the same, you'd still have gained, and will continue to have your belly fat.

What has probably happened is the continuous physical activity from waitress-ing has severely spiked your hunger (some people get overly hungry after physical activity) and you are eating more than you need to compensate for the extra activity, hence the fat storage over time.

I promise you there is NO physiological basis for eating at night causing extra fat storage. In fact eating carbs at night is probably better than eating them at any of other time of day since cortisol is highest in the morning and eating carbs releases serotonin which will help you get to sleep easily. I've switched to eating the bulk of my food in the evening and night day in day out for about the past year (including plenty of sugary things and fats) and have had absolutely no increase in abdominal fat.

Average calorie intake is the main driver of gains and losses in body fat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5foot and weigh 46kg. But I try to be as active as I can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that weight sounds plenty slim enough to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you were also probably much younger, there's nothing wrong with eating before you go to bed as long as you don't exceed your calorie needs overall... I'd guess your weight gain is more to do with your age than anything else if you're not eating too much overall

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't got time for the gym, why not try some at home fitness videos? They're shorter, but you get a great workout still, and so can do them more often. Try out Fitness Blender on YouTube. I find them very encouraging and insightful.

ReputationRep:
    I worked six days a week over the summer for similar hours and went nine times a week. Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing to do with when you eat as long as your calories are balanced overall.

Your physical activity sounds great, but you don't say exactly what you eat for your meals. It doesn't matter how much you exercise - if you eat more than you burn you're still going to gain weight.

You're actually quite lucky (in a way lol) that you have such an active job. Imagine if you worked those hours at a desk in a sedentary job. You'd then have to try some way of fitting in exercise, whereas in your case, work pretty much covers it.

Let us know the types of things you eat that will help!

ReputationRep:
    If you're only going to the gym once a week, I would maybe have a look at doing some weights rather than running. As a waitress, you're already on your feet all day. Work on building muscle and you should see more results than just running for an hour!

It's under construction but the sticky on this section is really helpful. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you've hit a plateau. If you're doing the same exercise as routine (e.g. running for 1 hour once a week) you aren't pushing your body, your maintaining it meaning you won't lose any weight or fat (if that's what you're trying to do). Try channing it up a bit, doing half an hour cardio but something different like aerobics or cycling and half an hour resistance training using weights or even just floor work.
    You should also try shorter, intense HIIT workouts in the mornings instead of longer ones once a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Nothing to do with when you eat as long as your calories are balanced overall.

Your physical activity sounds great, but you don't say exactly what you eat for your meals. It doesn't matter how much you exercise - if you eat more than you burn you're still going to gain weight.

You're actually quite lucky (in a way lol) that you have such an active job. Imagine if you worked those hours at a desk in a sedentary job. You'd then have to try some way of fitting in exercise, whereas in your case, work pretty much covers it.

Let us know the types of things you eat that will help!
    For those interested in my diet. I come from an Asian background so it mainly consist of rice and veg. I hardly eat junk food like pizza or chips etc. However being a full time waitress there's not many opportunities to eat so sometimes I would snack on cake or chocolates. Majority of the time, I try to eat as much fruit as possible instead of cakes and candy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For those interested in my diet. I come from an Asian background so it mainly consist of rice and veg. I hardly eat junk food like pizza or chips etc. However being a full time waitress there's not many opportunities to eat so sometimes I would snack on cake or chocolates. Majority of the time, I try to eat as much fruit as possible instead of cakes and candy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fruit can still have lots of calories in; and while there are obvious health benefits to choosing that over chocolate, from a weight loss point of view you could still easily gain weight eating lots of fruit.

The question is, I suppose, are you a healthy weight? From a fitness perspective yes, you do more than enough exercise, and as long as your diet balances in a way that keeps your weight at a healthy level then it's all good .

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How many calories do you think you eat?

As a near average woman you want to be in the 1500-1800 range ideally so aim for a 400 calorie budget for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks (make these fruit).

Try fit in a half hour walk before work perhaps.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    How many calories do you think you eat?

As a near average woman you want to be in the 1500-1800 range ideally so aim for a 400 calorie budget for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks (make these fruit).

Try fit in a half hour walk before work perhaps.
    She's 5' and 46kg, and works 60 hours a week on her feet, on top of wanting to change her exercise regime. This is a recipe for malnutrition. Do not follow this advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    She's 5' and 46kg, and works 60 hours a week on her feet, on top of wanting to change her exercise regime. This is a recipe for malnutrition. Do not follow this advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah should have read.

Well at 90-100lb with a tummy I'd suspect she's lacking muscle and is skinny fat. Needs exercise and should aim for a clean 1800+ calories (read somewhere that the 2000 calorie is rounded up, for average woman its 1800 and for men 2300).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.