Turn on thread page Beta

The General Election on TSR- input needed! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

As those that are the most passionate about politics on the site I wanted to come and talk to you about the plans for the General Election activity on TSR and see if there is anything that you would like to add or feel strongly could really make a difference to the number of TSR members going out to vote!

We would like to approach our activity as a campaign with the aim of encouraging young people to vote... what I would love to hear your thoughts on are ideas for the campaign, so campaign titles, strap lines, what content you think would be great, what events/activities we should be running, who you would like to see interviewed, what the branding could look like... basically what YOU would love to see on TSR!!!

Ideas can be as big or small as you like! I really want to go wild with this one and get our message out there

The planning will be started to be mapped out tomorrow so any ideas before then would be excellent but keep them coming as you think of them!

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas

QC

ReputationRep:
    first
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Hey everyone!

As those that are the most passionate about politics on the site I wanted to come and talk to you about the plans for the General Election activity on TSR and see if there is anything that you would like to add or feel strongly could really make a difference to the number of TSR members going out to vote!

We would like to approach our activity as a campaign with the aim of encouraging young people to vote... what I would love to hear your thoughts on are ideas for the campaign, so campaign titles, strap lines, what content you think would be great, what events/activities we should be running, who you would like to see interviewed, what the branding could look like... basically what YOU would love to see on TSR!!!

Ideas can be as big or small as you like! I really want to go wild with this one and get our message out there

The planning will be started to be mapped out tomorrow so any ideas before then would be excellent but keep them coming as you think of them!

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas

QC
    Sounds interesting!

Some initial ideas:

I think that first of all it would be good to highlight the importance of politics. Many people – not just young people – seem to see it as something remote, something that doesn't affect them. So, it would be good to show exactly how pervasive politics is. It affects us from the moment we get up until we fall back asleep. The food we eat, the computer games we play, the concerts we attend, the movies we watch, the clothes we wear, politics touches all of it. It even affects the air that we breathe, because of regulation on pollution levels. Perhaps this could be done in a "Did You Know"/ factoid kind of manner?

Perhaps we could get forum members who will vote to write something about why they vote, and do a compilation of quotes.

Maybe we could have a debate between a forum member who doesn't intend to vote, and someone who does. Alongside this, it would be interesting to have a debate between public figures who intend/don't intend to vote. Russell Brand might be an interesting non-voter.

We could start some threads in the politics forum that will be highlighted by TSR. Topics could include:

* Do you have different political views than your family members?
    * If you don't intend to vote, what would make you reconsider?
    * Election campaigns – what would you change about them?
    * TV debates – yes or no, and who should be included?
    * Have you read the different party manifestos?
    * Which politician do you trust the most/least?
    * Should we have a different voting system?

Contest – maybe we could have a contest in which TSR members could start up their own fictional political party. They could come up with a name, logo, manifesto and write/record a speech. At the end, members could vote on their favourite submission.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone should be allowed to post on an election predictions thread. Maybe vote on who they think will be in government or even an anonymous poll on who you might vote for. Various political threads should be mentioned, maybe one for each party. "UKIP, making gains or one trick ponies?" "Greens, the left wing party of today" "Labour, Milliband help or hindrance?" "Conservatives, party for the middle class?" "Liberal Democrats, who would you side with?"

Then, some simpler questions, who should be debating on television, what are the key issues for you, etc.

Maybe, "This will happen thread," such as a Russell Brand march against bankers, a Northern Ireland political deadlock, a Scottish Pro v Anti split, a Conservative "Look at what Welsh Labour did to the NHS" A politician who doesn't know the price of milk etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Sounds interesting!

Some initial ideas:

I think that first of all it would be good to highlight the importance of politics. Many people – not just young people – seem to see it as something remote, something that doesn't affect them. So, it would be good to show exactly how pervasive politics is. It affects us from the moment we get up until we fall back asleep. The food we eat, the computer games we play, the concerts we attend, the movies we watch, the clothes we wear, politics touches all of it. It even affects the air that we breathe, because of regulation on pollution levels. Perhaps this could be done in a "Did You Know"/ factoid kind of manner?

Perhaps we could get forum members who will vote to write something about why they vote, and do a compilation of quotes.

Maybe we could have a debate between a forum member who doesn't intend to vote, and someone who does. Alongside this, it would be interesting to have a debate between public figures who intend/don't intend to vote. Russell Brand might be an interesting non-voter.

We could start some threads in the politics forum that will be highlighted by TSR. Topics could include:

* Do you have different political views than your family members?
    * If you don't intend to vote, what would make you reconsider?
    * Election campaigns – what would you change about them?
    * TV debates – yes or no, and who should be included?
    * Have you read the different party manifestos?
    * Which politician do you trust the most/least?
    * Should we have a different voting system?

Contest – maybe we could have a contest in which TSR members could start up their own fictional political party. They could come up with a name, logo, manifesto and write/record a speech. At the end, members could vote on their favourite submission.
    Awesome! Thanks so much for getting back to me, there are so many great ideas here to play with

I particularly love the idea about having people write a quote on why they vote... this sounds like something that a professional campaign would do and I think it could be very inspiring.

Russell Brand has come into our minds too and we would love to have an event on the site that he could participate in so this is definitely something we will look into!

Would the fictional political parties be a completely separate thing from MHoC? I think it would be a lovely idea if people wanted to get together and do this and it would be great maybe to have a mix of politically minded and those who don't know so much about politics but have great ideas?

These ideas are all absolutely fab, keep them coming!!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Awesome! Thanks so much for getting back to me, there are so many great ideas here to play with

I particularly love the idea about having people write a quote on why they vote... this sounds like something that a professional campaign would do and I think it could be very inspiring.

Russell Brand has come into our minds too and we would love to have an event on the site that he could participate in so this is definitely something we will look into!

Would the fictional political parties be a completely separate thing from MHoC? I think it would be a lovely idea if people wanted to get together and do this and it would be great maybe to have a mix of politically minded and those who don't know so much about politics but have great ideas?

These ideas are all absolutely fab, keep them coming!!!
    Thanks, I am glad you like the ideas .

It would be great if Russell Brand were willing to participate in an event on this site. Whether people agree with his views or not, he's an interesting person with interesting ideas.

I would keep it separate from the MHoC. Something everyone can participate in. I think it would make people think about their views and what could be done to improve things around the UK. Perhaps people/parties could list the top 5 or top 10 issues that they are concerned with and make suggestions for improvement in their manifestos. No doubt we would receive some funny entries, but there would be serious ones as well, and it would give an interesting overview of what matters to younger voters.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! ...
    I would like to see a BBC Question Time style debate but the members of TSR are selected to represent their own views on the panel, while the rest of TSR are free to act as the audience. I am not sure how it work though as there would need to be two threads; one for question submission/audience submission, and one for the rolling coverage of the debate.

I too second a predictions thread or application in which members predict how many MP's each party will get, the percentage of votes, if there will be hung Parliament, and who would be in it.

As far as highlighting why politics is important, I believe the approach should be taken from imagining a world without politics. No one will deny politics is not perfect but without the politics we would have nothing from the police force to the legal system. For those who believe politics is not important, they cannot draw out an alternative. Instead of someone pointing out to them why politics is important and relevant, they instantly see the importance of politics when they think about a world with no politics, or an alternative to politics.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I would like to see a BBC Question Time style debate but the members of TSR are selected to represent their own views on the panel, while the rest of TSR are free to act as the audience. I am not sure how it work though as there would need to be two threads; one for question submission/audience submission, and one for the rolling coverage of the debate.

I too second a predictions thread or application in which members predict how many MP's each party will get, the percentage of votes, if there will be hung Parliament, and who would be in it.

As far as highlighting why politics is important, I believe the approach should be taken from imagining a world without politics. No one will deny politics is not perfect but without the politics we would have nothing from the police force to the legal system. For those who believe politics is not important, they cannot draw out an alternative. Instead of someone pointing out to them why politics is important and relevant, they instantly see the importance of politics when they think about a world with no politics, or an alternative to politics.
    BIB - Good point, and good idea .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)

Can I join in to represent the MRLP view?

ReputationRep:
    No idea if it's possible, but I wonder whether TSR could seek to emulate Facebook's "I've voted in the etc..." feature they've introduced for the last few elections? I read an article recently citing evidence this may have increased voting by something like 0.7% in the last US election (not as insignificant as it seems). Not sure how it would work here, admittedly.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by meenu89)
    qfa
    (Original post by birchington)
    qfa
    (Original post by matthew_lowson)
    qfa
    (Original post by davesmith99)
    qfa
    (Original post by statusred)
    qfa
    (Original post by toronto353)
    qfa
    (Original post by jarred)
    qfa
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    qfa
    (Original post by rakas21)
    qfa
    (Original post by that bearded man)
    qfa
    (Original post by life_peer)
    qfa
    (Original post by cheese_monster)
    qfa
    (Original post by mazzini)
    qfa
    (Original post by faland)
    qfa
    (Original post by tehfrance)
    qfa
    (Original post by miser)
    qfa
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    qfa
    (Original post by macdaddi)
    qfa
    (Original post by aadam10)
    qfa
    (Original post by superunknown17)
    qfa
    (Original post by ukip72)
    qfa
    (Original post by kittiara)
    qfa
    (Original post by st. Brynjar)
    qfa
    (Original post by qwertish)
    qfa
    (Original post by goldenemblem277)
    qfa
    (Original post by yesmanf7w)
    qfa
    (Original post by sdotd)
    qfa
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    qfa
    (Original post by chlorophile)
    qfa
    (Original post by republic1)
    qfa
    (Original post by maddo)
    qfa
    (Original post by talentedlobster)
    qfa
    (Original post by obiejess)
    qfa
    (Original post by blue meltwater)
    qfa
    (Original post by wellzi)
    qfa
    (Original post by cryptographic)
    qfa
    (Original post by andy98)
    qfa
    (Original post by mrdystopia)
    qfa
    (Original post by adam9317)
    qfa
    (Original post by ruitker)
    qfa
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    qfa
    (Original post by aph)
    qfa
    (Original post by o133)
    qfa
    (Original post by rayapparently)
    qfa
    (Original post by magnus taylor)
    qfa
    (Original post by kool_panda)
    qfa
    (Original post by the legal eagle)
    qfa
    (Original post by green_pink)
    qfa
    (Original post by rotatingphasor)
    qfa
    (Original post by nigel farage mep)
    qfa
    (Original post by limitless21)
    qfa
    (Original post by petrosac)
    qfa
    qfa

Hey,
    Just quoting everyone in to make sure you have all seen this!

ReputationRep:
    Once the manifestos are issued we could open a department thread each week with a Which of these policies do you prefer' but not say which party had which policy for several days. This might generate some interest as people find a policy they like and may even surprise them that there favored party has the worst health policy or they hated one the best.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    Once the manifestos are issued we could open a department thread each week with a Which of these policies do you prefer' but not say which party had which policy for several days. This might generate some interest as people find a policy they like and may even surprise them that there favored party has the worst health policy or they hated one the best.
    Very good idea!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good idea
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Great idea! Also liking the afore mentioned question time idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I like the sound of this!

ReputationRep:
    How about a small parties debate as well, mainly for the Scots/welsh/NI if they wanted to guess/talk about how local parties would do?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I know this is late and you may have already done stuff, but I don't think he would be very beneficial for users. He makes a point of not voting. How are we supposed to encourage people to vote and get interested in politics if someone who doesn't vote, especially when there are other ways of registering political dissent or protest?!

Though having said that, I do agree with him over UKIP - they aren't the answer and Nigel is not a man of the people. He's as much of a gravy train politican as most of them are caricatured as...£80k salary plus expenses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    I know this is late and you may have already done stuff, but I don't think he would be very beneficial for users. He makes a point of not voting. How are we supposed to encourage people to vote and get interested in politics if someone who doesn't vote, especially when there are other ways of registering political dissent or protest?!

Though having said that, I do agree with him over UKIP - they aren't the answer and Nigel is not a man of the people. He's as much of a gravy train politican as most of them are caricatured as...£80k salary plus expenses!
    This exact point came up the other day in regards to Russell Brand, but how about if he came on the site and had a debate with MHoC and you all put him in his place?!

ReputationRep:
    This exact point came up the other day in regards to Russell Brand, but how about if he came on the site and had a debate with MHoC and you all put him in his place?!
    I imagine that would go down very well

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.