Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car Insurance at University (Living away/Liverpool) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I currently live in the suburbs in Manchester, I'm 20 and pay £1000 a year insurance and should go down to about £800/900 when it renews in July.

However I'm starting University in Liverpool in September and I did a quote for insurance in Liverpool and it's coming up at around £2500 a year, which I think an extra £1,500 a year is ridiculous!

Is there any way around this? Does everyone else insure there car at their home address yet still take it to university even though it's not insured at the address that it is registered at?

Or is there any other way around it, like putting a family member at home as the main driver for that address then saying you are a named driver and that when it's at your university address it's because you are just borrowing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F3MBC)
    Hello,

Or is there any other way around it, like putting a family member at home as the main driver for that address then saying you are a named driver and that when it's at your university address it's because you are just borrowing it?
    Not sure about the rest of it, but this is illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F3MBC)
    Hello,

I currently live in the suburbs in Manchester, I'm 20 and pay £1000 a year insurance and should go down to about £800/900 when it renews in July.

However I'm starting University in Liverpool in September and I did a quote for insurance in Liverpool and it's coming up at around £2500 a year, which I think an extra £1,500 a year is ridiculous!

Is there any way around this? Does everyone else insure there car at their home address yet still take it to university even though it's not insured at the address that it is registered at?

Manchester to Liverpool is quite a drive. It'll be obvious to your insurers that you haven't updated your details in order to avoid the cost if you have a smash and they'll void your insurance.

If you put a family member as the main driver and claim you're borrowing it, you'll get a 20-year criminal record, lose you license, lose the car and your insurers may prosecute. That goes for the family member that was the 'main driver' too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Manchester to Liverpool is quite a drive. It'll be obvious to your insurers that you haven't updated your details in order to avoid the cost if you have a smash and they'll void your insurance.
    Depending on what side of Manchester, it can easily be under an hour; completely viable as a commute, and is a popular one.

However, it is illegal so don't do it! If you ask them, most insurers need the location where the car is held the majority of the time, so it would be uni. Shop around and you should be able to get it cheaper, but you may have to suck up the cost as many of the student areas in Liverpool are in the rough postcodes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyimbored)
    Depending on what side of Manchester, it can easily be under an hour; completely viable as a commute, and is a popular one.

However, it is illegal so don't do it! If you ask them, most insurers need the location where the car is held the majority of the time, so it would be uni. Shop around and you should be able to get it cheaper, but you may have to suck up the cost as many of the student areas in Liverpool are in the rough postcodes.
    It's not even a rough area, it's a flat overlooking Albert Docks. I may just SORN the car as the university is walking distance, for what I'd use the car for it's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F3MBC)
    It's not even a rough area, it's a flat overlooking Albert Docks. I may just SORN the car as the university is walking distance, for what I'd use the car for it's not worth it.
    Easier to walk to the uni from the Albert dock than done to be honest, so not a bad idea

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.