Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently in my last year at sixth form and have applied to university.
    I've received my offers and have decided to go to Goldsmiths University of London to study psychology.
    i currently live in North London, a half an hour train journey away from the university.. Although the distance is not much I would like to move out to gain a full experience of university life..
    However, I'm slightly worried as I won't know anyone there and I'm not sure if it's worth moving out for the experience or I would still gain the same experience from home.
    Also my parents do not want me to move out because they overthink and worry too much. How could I persuade them ?

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it. I go to uni in my home city and I've moved out and I'm so glad I did. I can't imagine living back at home now. If you force yourself to do it now when you come to properly move out in a few years time it won't be as scary! I'd give it a go even if it's only for your first year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving out as well to a uni that is only 30-45mins away from my home. It's all about personal preference. If you want to gain the full experience - go for it.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people at Goldsmiths live at home and commute. Most of my friends commute from home, up to 1.5 hours each way. :O
    This would mean that you'd be in the same boat as many other people, and you'd save yourself a bit of money (a lot of money actually). None of my London friends seem to be missing out on the 'student experience', but as has been mentioned above it's good to have the experience of living away from home.
    If money, worry, or parental opinion aren't considered, what do you really want to do? I think that's the most important. You can get out of your halls contract at Christmas (this might only be if you're switching to a different hall) so you could always move back home if you thought it wasn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to move out then go for it, and if you want to stay home then stay home! It has to be your decision!

I go to a London uni and commute from North London (also studying psychology), around a 45-60 min journey. A lot of my friends commute, especially because it's a London uni. I know everyone says you miss out on the uni experience, but in my opinion I haven't and I still get to live at home and study! Good luck with your decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you were anywhere else I'd say to move out.

London, however, is really expensive to live in as you probably well know - so it might be good to save yourself some coins by living at home and commuting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.