The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fusion
Governments need to stop putting GDP growth before the interests of the public. It is obvious to anyone that our small land cannot take in an infinite amount of newcomers aswell as the fact that unemployment is creeping up so its a logical decision to prevent the romanians. And yes I do think the poles are of a higher calibre personally because of their strong work ethic. Romania and Bulgaria are two nations blighted by corruption at all levels due to soviet rule - they need to sort this out first and other problems before us wealthy nations have to accept any old bob.

So is Poland actually.
Reply 21
Howard
So is Poland actually.

presents Howard with the Understatement Of The Year Award
:king2:
Reply 22
Fusion
Governments need to stop putting GDP growth before the interests of the public. It is obvious to anyone that our small land cannot take in an infinite amount of newcomers aswell as the fact that unemployment is creeping up so its a logical decision to prevent the romanians. And yes I do think the poles are of a higher calibre personally because of their strong work ethic. Romania and Bulgaria are two nations blighted by corruption at all levels due to soviet rule - they need to sort this out first and other problems before us wealthy nations have to accept any old bob.

Define "interests of the people". Or is that just another way of disguising prejudice?

Were would an "infinite" number of people come from exactly? Are you even aware that the number of Poles coming to Britain is steadily decreasing and the vast majority only stay here for (approximately) a year?

Are you aware of the concept of "full employment"? That's basically where we were at before all the Poles were allowed to come here. As a result we were more acutely vulnerable to inflationary pressures.
Reply 23
Are Poles the new Blacks? :rolleyes:
City bound
Are you aware of the concept of "full employment"? That's basically where we were at before all the Poles were allowed to come here. As a result we were more acutely vulnerable to inflationary pressures.

But we are now in a situation where unemployment and inflation is slowly rising. Wouldn't it make sense if we put a curb to immigration?

And I don't think it's the job of the immigrants to rectify the inflationary pressures. That's the job of the independent Bank of England.
Reply 25
sixthformer18
But we are now in a situation where unemployment and inflation is slowly rising. Wouldn't it make sense if we put a curb to immigration?

Inflation's pretty stable, in part thanks to the extra labour at the base of the market. Unemployment is rising slightly as a result but not alarmingly. So what? It's not as though the target is full employment!

If the immigration translated straight into unemployment you may have the beginnings of a case for controls; be it a shaky one. But it doesn't, much of the immigration has been taken up in new jobs that couldn't have been created without it. Ontop of that, you have the fact that despite employers are advertising more and more jobs (at or above the NMW) there aren't the willing Brits to fill them. Many unemployed Brits seem to be failing to read the job advertisements!
City bound
Inflation's pretty stable, in part thanks to the extra labour at the base of the market. Unemployment is rising slightly as a result but not alarmingly. So what? It's not as though the target is full employment!

If the immigration translated straight into unemployment you may have the beginnings of a case for controls; be it a shaky one. But it doesn't, much of the immigration has been taken up in new jobs that couldn't have been created without it. Ontop of that, you have the fact that despite employers are advertising more and more jobs (at or above the NMW) there aren't the willing Brits to fill them. Many unemployed Brits seem to be failing to read the job advertisements!

But do we have too strong a case for creating jobs and we therefore resort in getting more immigrants?

We have unemployed Brits because markets don't work efficiently. If we increase the going rate, then we would have more Brits working. But sadly the going rate is below the clearing rate, therefore EU immigrants are more than happy to supply their labour.

And there's lack of incentive for them to work, courtesy of New Labour's higher unemployment benefits.
Reply 27
sixthformer18
But do we have too strong a case for creating jobs and we therefore resort in getting more immigrants?

We have unemployed Brits because markets don't work efficiently. If we increase the going rate, then we would have more Brits working. But sadly the going rate is below the clearing rate, therefore EU immigrants are more than happy to supply their labour.

And there's lack of incentive for them to work, courtesy of New Labour's higher unemployment benefits.

I'm amused by the concept of "too strong a case for creating jobs". Implying that job creation is a bad thing.

Granted, JSA et all is a problem. However, the fact that we have spent time at or near full employment is testimony to the efficiency of our labour market. Business has managed to pay a market clearing wage (in a practical sense) but is still demanding growth. The problem is the apathy and irrationality of the British unemployed whilst the increasing tax burden on the low paid is expanding the reach of the benefit trap. Increasing wages will not decrease unemployment further without increasing inflation. If we wanted to decrease unemployment we should focus on removing disincentives.
City bound
I'm amused by the concept of "too strong a case for creating jobs". Implying that job creation is a bad thing.

Granted, JSA et all is a problem. However, the fact that we have spent time at or near full employment is testimony to the efficiency of our labour market. Business has managed to pay a market clearing wage (in a practical sense) but is still demanding growth. The problem is the apathy and irrationality of the British unemployed whilst the increasing tax burden on the low paid is expanding the reach of the benefit trap. Increasing wages will not decrease unemployment further without increasing inflation. If we wanted to decrease unemployment we should focus on removing disincentives.

Problem is, the government is more focused on giving an impression that immigration is automatically an economic benefit, to smoke screen the ****ed up immigration policies that they have, rather than removing those disincentives and tackling domestic causes that discourage British workers.
Reply 29
sixthformer18
Problem is, the government is more focused on giving an impression that immigration is automatically an economic benefit, to smoke screen the ****ed up immigration policies that they have, rather than removing those disincentives and tackling domestic causes that discourage British workers.

Even with the immigration we have had recently, the labour market still has an excess demand for labour. Reducing the disincentives to work would only go part way to solve the problem. We need both measures. Both the flow of immigrants and the tackling of the benefit trap. Neither alone will solve the problem.
Reply 30
City bound
Even with the immigration we have had recently, the labour market still has an excess demand for labour.

Hence rising unemployment?

"The unemployment rate, on the ILO definition, was 5.5 per cent in the three months to June 2006, up 0.3 per cent from the three months to March 2006 and up 0.7 per cent over the year. The unemployment level stood at 1,677,000 in the three months to June 2006"
Reply 31
Howard
Hence rising unemployment?

"The unemployment rate, on the ILO definition, was 5.5 per cent in the three months to June 2006, up 0.3 per cent from the three months to March 2006 and up 0.7 per cent over the year. The unemployment level stood at 1,677,000 in the three months to June 2006"

Read my earlier posts. The unemployment is not due to a lack of jobs. There is an increasing supply of vacancies (not regionalised), therefore it must be something else.
Reply 32
City bound
Read my earlier posts. The unemployment is not due to a lack of jobs. There is an increasing supply of vacancies (not regionalised), therefore it must be something else.[/QUOTE]

Like what then?
Reply 33
[QUOTE="Howard"]
City bound
Read my earlier posts. The unemployment is not due to a lack of jobs. There is an increasing supply of vacancies (not regionalised), therefore it must be something else.[/QUOTE]

Like what then?

Like I've said before, there's the constantly expanding benefit trap for starters. Ontop of that we have seen a drop in inactivity as people come into the marketplace in search of work.
Reply 34
[QUOTE="bound" City="City"]
Howard

Like I've said before, there's the constantly expanding benefit trap for starters. Ontop of that we have seen a drop in inactivity as people come into the marketplace in search of work.

You may be right but I think you need to be a bit less speculative here - can you actually show that a recent surge in immigration is not the cause of an uptick in unemployment but rather results from an expanding benefit trap.

Forgive me but one seems more obvious than the other.
Reply 35
Ezekiel
Polish migrants came to the UK without any quotas or hindrance as did others. I think its disgusting for us to say to our new Romanian an Bulgarian brethren, sorry you not wanted, you’re not good enough. Do you think new members will regard themselves as second class Europeans in the UK? Will it hamper our relations with these countries?

Are Poles a better calibre of European? I don’t blame Romanians or Bulgarians for thinking that, that’s what it looks like from their point of view. The Romanian ambassador said as much on the Daily Politics.

Thoughts

No they are not a better calibre, they simply got in in time. Unfair but true. Baseless or no, the majority of people in Britain it would seem are now against immigration. So John Reid is being the 'tough bloke' in about turning with regards to immigration policy. Perhaps not because he believes in that, but that he believes we believe in it, and as a politician...?

I personally think a government needs to act in the best interests of its own people, not people thousands of miles to the south-east :p:. I personally believe immigration is no longer beneficial, if indeed it ever was, many people think this. Perhaps more than do not think this...and the politicians have cottoned on! I also think that international relations with two weak nations is of lesser importance as compared to the economic and social wellbeing of Britain.
Reply 36
Ezekiel
Well who counted the poles when they were coming in that’s what id like to know! When we got to 20 thousand why didn’t somebody say hang on a sec something strange is afoot? Its past incompetence Howard. Nobody can deny that it was obvious that there were more poles coming in. They were allowed to do it for whatever reason. If I was Romanian or Bulgarian I would think today’s events were outrageous.

The British Government said 13,000 poles would come, over half a million came. Who stopped them? Nobody. So from that one can derive that the government didn’t really care if more than 13,000 poles came over. If they are working here why not let another half million come over? Over half a million poles have come here. There paying tax and if there not they should be booted out, why not have another half a million more from Europe? If they are paying taxes where is the strain on the NHS and Education if they are contributing the same amount as a British Citizen?

They're...they are...

So you're saying that because we let the poles in it is only 'fair' to let bulgarians and romanians in? Life isn't 'fair'. Fair is a demonstratably a false concept in my opinion.
Build more hospitals, build more schools with their tax money.
Reply 37
Actually, for what its worth I think the Poles are of a better calibre than Romanians and Bulgarians anyway. Poland, after all, once had one of the largest empires in European history (Moscow was once in Poland) and I think I'm right in saying, the earliest written constitution. Clearly a far more advanced nation.

I've never been to Bulgaria but I have been to Poland and to Romania. Poland is quite nice, clean, and has a civilized feeling about it, whereas Romania is a festering flea pit full of filthy thieving gipsies.
City bound
There is an increasing supply of vacancies (not regionalised), therefore it must be something else.

I think we should also consider that even though there have been increases in job vacancies, massive jobs have been lost in the secondary sector. It's not even helped by the fact that the labour force has increased at a faster rate vs. the number of job vacancies.
I read in the paper a few days ago that the number 2 degree course by number of students who entered this year in the UK was Design Studies.

I think unemployment for Brits is a problem as more are getting educated to degree level, but in subjects that are not respected by many graduate employers. So they end up without graduate jobs, but they are unwilling to take jobs that don't require a degree.

Eastern Europeans and other immigrants, including some who have degrees, will come to the UK and do minimum wage and other jobs that the increasingly educated--although perhaps not appropriately educated--British population will not.

Latest

Trending

Trending