Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Puddles' blog of cultural cultivation. Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

Part of my focus for 2015 is to start being more productive in my spare time. I barely read any books last year which I feel bad about. This year my goal is to read at least 12 books. I'd also like to see and hear more music, try out new food and watch good films! I'm also teaching myself maths at the moment.

I'll record my progress in this thread.

The more the merrier, so if you want to join in start up your own blog thread (or use external sites like Goodeads) then post in the main thread to get added! :woo: It's a great way to pick up recommendations and new books/films/TV shows/games to look out for.

Books (4/12)

Read
    The Stranger - Albert Camus
    Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse
    Slaughterhouse- Five - Kurt Vonnegut
    Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein

Reading
    Narcissus & Goldmund - Hesse

Films
    x

Food/Recipes
    Cooked
    Roast Chicken

Games
    Currently Playing
    Banished
    Go (8 kyu)

Gigs/Music

20th January - Folk session

TV
    x
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Am I allowed to reply here :/ Feels really weird lol - anyway, I thought I'd help you out:

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    like to see more music
    We humans listen to music, seeing is more something we do with films

Good luck with this though - I hope you are successful!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Am I allowed to reply here :/ Feels really weird lol - anyway, I thought I'd help you out:

We humans listen to music, seeing is more something we do with films

Good luck with this though - I hope you are successful!
    You can reply if you like :yy: I just decided to use this to track because I get confused by many different sites.

:lol: See music played live was probably what I was aiming for. Although, if you have the right type of synesthesia you might see music too!

Anyway, go get involved in the main thread now
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    You can reply if you like :yy: I just decided to use this to track because I get confused by many different sites.

:lol: See music played live was probably what I was aiming for. Although, if you have the right type of synesthesia you might see music too!

Anyway, go get involved in the main thread now
    Ok, fair enough, and to be fair, does sound pretty cool to see more music!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Ok, fair enough, and to be fair, does sound pretty cool to see more music!
    Luckily Brighton has loads of stuff going on all the time :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I finished reading Alan Johnson's 'This boy' this year, and have also finished his new memoir 'Please Mr Postman'.

Playing Far Cry 4.

Haven't watched any films so far, but going to watch 'Let the Right One In' tonight.

No new food, unless the McRib counts :lol:

Watching Futurama, Simpsons, American Dad and Sons of Anarchy.

Going to see Foo Fighters and AC/DC later this year.

Hopefully it'll be a productive year and I'll get a bit done and try new things. Will try post as I come along, brilliant idea OP.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    I finished reading Alan Johnson's 'This boy' this year, and have also finished his new memoir 'Please Mr Postman'.

Playing Far Cry 4.

Haven't watched any films so far, but going to watch 'Let the Right One In' tonight.

No new food, unless the McRib counts :lol:

Watching Futurama, Simpsons, American Dad and Sons of Anarchy.

Going to see Foo Fighters and AC/DC later this year.

Hopefully it'll be a productive year and I'll get a bit done and try new things. Will try post as I come along, brilliant idea OP.
    Sounds brilliant! Foo Fighters and AC/DC sounds awesome.

Alas it was not my idea, you can find the main thread here. You can see all the participants there too! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds brilliant! Foo Fighters and AC/DC sounds awesome.

Alas it was not my idea, you can find the main thread here. You can see all the participants there too! :woo:
    Cheers, should hopefully be pretty decent

Ohh right :lol: Sorry I misread your first post. Will join in with the main thread haha

ReputationRep:
    you is well cultured innit blud.

i had to read La Peste for French A Level.

i watched a brilliant film yesterday: "The Kings of Summer". you would love it Puddles.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/wh...dar#.oeVq2Wkkx
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by the bear)
    you is well cultured innit blud.

i had to read La Peste for French A Level.

i watched a brilliant film yesterday: "The Kings of Summer". you would love it Puddles.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/wh...dar#.oeVq2Wkkx
    wers ur entry then bear? ill put kings of summer on my 2 watch list :yy:

ReputationRep:
    wers ur entry then bear? ill put kings of summer on my 2 watch list :yy:
    bear™ is a spontaneous kinda dude. he wanders the foreshore of culture picking up curious flotsam and jetsam and making ladies nervous.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Over the weekend I finished reading Siddhartha by Hesse. I enjoyed it a lot, think I'll pick up some more books by him. Started Slaughterhouse-Five and went and read it in a coffee shop. Getting back to my true pretentious roots. :yy: :lol:

Also managed to get a decent set up on Banished, so I think this town is actually sustainable. :woo: I did lots of Tsumego too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Over the weekend I finished reading Siddhartha by Hesse. I enjoyed it a lot, think I'll pick up some more books by him. Started Slaughterhouse-Five and went and read it in a coffee shop. Getting back to my true pretentious roots. :yy: :lol:

Also managed to get a decent set up on Banished, so I think this town is actually sustainable. :woo: I did lots of Tsumego too.
    Banished - is that a game? sounds interesting!!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Banished - is that a game? sounds interesting!!
    Yes - it's really good if you're into the whole city building/survival thing.

Start off thinking 'this is easy' and then BOOM everybody starves to death. Or you build too few houses so nobody has any babies and the population slowly dies away, Children of Men style. :getmecoat:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Start off thinking 'this is easy' and then BOOM everybody starves to death. Or you build too few houses so nobody has any babies and the population slowly dies away, Children of Men style. :getmecoat:
    Haha, yeh I love that type of game!!! That's so going on my list!!!! Thank you

ReputationRep:

That sounds fun. Just put on my cruel I just don't care anymore and cause devastation and destruction. Mhahahaha.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    That sounds fun. Just put on my cruel I just don't care anymore and cause devastation and destruction. Mhahahaha.
    No, it's heartbreaking

ReputationRep:
    No, it's heartbreaking
    I've eased up recently. When playing Rome Total War I would always exterminate everyone in the settlement. Now I just enslave them instead. Less monies but more man power throughout my empire :devil:

Any reccomendations on guides to learn to play Tsumego?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    I've eased up recently. When playing Rome Total War I would always exterminate everyone in the settlement. Now I just enslave them instead. Less monies but more man power throughout my empire :devil:

Any reccomendations on guides to learn to play Tsumego?
    Play through this introduction to Go: http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/ It's the best way I think. If you want to play a game let me know :woo:

'Tsumego' are problems, like Chess problems. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Play through this introduction to Go: http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/ It's the best way I think. If you want to play a game let me know :woo:

'Tsumego' are problems, like Chess problems. :yy:
    Aye I'd noticed, when looking for a guide I found a book of problems instead and so I just need the rules. Once I know how to play I'll give you a game.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.