Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You people heard about the new tax rules? Apparently the tax disc is no longer needed and it is all done online (such as renewal, etc). This also means that if you're like me and are buying a car soon, then if the car previously was taxed then as soon as it is sold to you the previous tax expires, meaning you need to renew it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep, started from October pal. So when someone tries to sell you their car stating it has just been taxed, they've run out of good things to say about it and its a pile of crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkaah)
    Yep, started from October pal. So when someone tries to sell you their car stating it has just been taxed, they've run out of good things to say about it and its a pile of crap!
    Yeah there's so many cars on AutoTrader saying they got tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a royal pain in the ass to deal with, as it makes buying a car late in the evening a daunting task. Sure, you can tax the car online - but that's not really much use when you're at someone else's house buying a car (unless you have an internet-enabled Mobile Phone)

The good news is, every car comes without tax, so it's not possible for someone to fraudulently sell a car with a false tax disc.

They also (starting November) have put in place a pay-Monthly Direct Debit scheme to make spreading the cost of tax easier. I sure would rather paying £15 a month than £180 upfront for my tax, anyway.

~Matt

What do you mean, "apparently"? Any driver should be well aware of the new rules by now. It was hardly a silent change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    What do you mean, "apparently"? Any driver should be well aware of the new rules by now. It was hardly a silent change.
    No I'm not a driver yet lol. I'm learning to drive,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxi365)
    You people heard about the new tax rules? Apparently the tax disc is no longer needed and it is all done online (such as renewal, etc). This also means that if you're like me and are buying a car soon, then if the car previously was taxed then as soon as it is sold to you the previous tax expires, meaning you need to renew it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats right. It started from october. You can still renew it at the post office as well (but you just dont get a tax disc).

ReputationRep:
    Bit late to the party aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danty)
    It's a royal pain in the ass to deal with, as it makes buying a car late in the evening a daunting task. Sure, you can tax the car online - but that's not really much use when you're at someone else's house buying a car (unless you have an internet-enabled Mobile Phone)

The good news is, every car comes without tax, so it's not possible for someone to fraudulently sell a car with a false tax disc.

They also (starting November) have put in place a pay-Monthly Direct Debit scheme to make spreading the cost of tax easier. I sure would rather paying £15 a month than £180 upfront for my tax, anyway.

~Matt
    If you like paying 10% more for the privilege of spreading the payment out then that's up to you.
    I prefer to pay annually to avoid the extra fees on top.

ReputationRep:
    It's a legal grey area at this stage in terms of enforcement as to whether you can drive home on the previous owner's tax. If unsure and for peace of mind, call up the DVLA and tax it before leaving. The law does state that a new owner will need to purchase their own tax, in practice though, it's not so simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyman1990)
    It's a legal grey area at this stage in terms of enforcement as to whether you can drive home on the previous owner's tax. If unsure and for peace of mind, call up the DVLA and tax it before leaving. The law does state that a new owner will need to purchase their own tax, in practice though, it's not so simple.
    Yeah they outlined this situation and said to do what you just said. What was wrong with the tax disc? Why change it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Presumably the point at which it's sold defines the end of its tax. However as that day (well the month - another contentious issue)has been paid already then it's ok to drive on that day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    Presumably the point at which it's sold defines the end of its tax. However as that day (well the month - another contentious issue)has been paid already then it's ok to drive on that day?
    It's more a problem of when the DVLA learn that the car has changed hands. Oddly, the logbook is still sent by post, meaning that it can take a few days for them to find out. This would be where the loophole about driving without taxing it to get home comes in.

ReputationRep:
    Right so just so I'm clear, if I buy a car today I will need to get it taxed, I get that part but can it be done there and then eg I call them up and from that point it is taxed ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bought my car just before the new tax rules came out so I snuck around without a tax disk on for a month or so till the new rules came in - wasn't sticking a tax disk holder on a new car when I didn't need to!!

It also means the government profit from this- you sell the car mid July for example, and the seller is refunded from end of July onwards and the buyer taxes from start of July onwards- hence the car is double taxed for a month! With all this technology it's a bit suspicious that the DVLA can't work in days rather than months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyman1990)
    It's more a problem of when the DVLA learn that the car has changed hands. Oddly, the logbook is still sent by post, meaning that it can take a few days for them to find out. This would be where the loophole about driving without taxing it to get home comes in.
    But with ANPR cameras everywhere can you afford the risk? (Saying that I drove my first car home untaxed )

ReputationRep:
    To clear things up:

From the moment the sale is complete any existing tax on the vehicle is not valid. This is NOT a legal grey area. It's black and white: the car is not taxed. Investigation and enforcement might be difficult in this situation, however.

Bear in mind that if you were to have a police-involved accident in your new car, or to get stopped for any reason, you would have to tell them that you have bought the car today. A quick call to the DVLA will then tell them that you've failed to tax it. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay for the tax than risk having to pay a fine and a recovery/release bill.

~Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    But with ANPR cameras everywhere can you afford the risk? (Saying that I drove my first car home untaxed )
    By all means, don't do it. I personally wouldn't either. I just bought a new car and taxed it at the dealership. Some people will though.

To clear things up:

From the moment the sale is complete any existing tax on the vehicle is not valid. This is NOT a legal grey area. It's black and white: the car is not taxed. Investigation and enforcement might be difficult in this situation, however.

Bear in mind that if you were to have a police-involved accident in your new car, or to get stopped for any reason, you would have to tell them that you have bought the car today. A quick call to the DVLA will then tell them that you've failed to tax it. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay for the tax than risk having to pay a fine and a recovery/release bill.

~Matt
    The latter part is exactly why this enforcement issue needs to be sorted out. It will cost you dearly if the above does happen. That said, it is possible to get away with it. But you shouldn't do it.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.