Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I've been born and living my whole life in an EU country and now I have been granted an EU citizenship. I have started studying in the UK as an international student since September 2012 but this year I was able to successfully change my status from overseas to EU and now I can pay the EU tuition fee. I'm currently on a sandwich placement year but I'm back for my final year next year. I hope I'm eligible for an EU student loan but I'm not sure if my recent student change and the fact that next year is my final year (meaning the loan will be for only 1 year) will affect somehow my chances of getting the loan? I feel that my situation is a bit more complex and might cause some confusion.

    When can I start applying for the tuition loan? When/which month?

    Since I'm on the placement, I'm now a part-time student but once I'm back at uni, I'll be full-time again. If I apply now as a part-time student for a loan for a full-time student academic year, will there be any problems?

    EU students are not eligible for any maintenance support, am I right?

    Is it possible to book an appointment with student finance companies to explain better my situation?

    Many thanks for your help!
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

    In order to qualify as an EU applicant, all EU students must have been living in the EU for the full 3 years prior to the start date of the course, and must be able to supply a valid, original form of EU ID.

    You make your application giving details as how your exact situation will be when you begin, so if you're going to be full-time when you begin this year then you apply as full-time just now. Applications for 15/16 will be available by the beginning of February.

    EU students are entitled to a loan for fees only. We do not take appointments, but you can call us on 0300 100 0607 and discuss with an adviser if you wish.

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.