Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would the reaction be the same if something like Stormfront were attacked? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if we would see #IAMSTORMFRONT hashtags and major newspapers/websites publishing the inflammatory material posted on their site.

Would you change your signature to offensive caricatures of non-white people, Jews, etc. and declare "I am Stormfront" in the same way many of you are changing your signature to offensive caricatures of religious figureheads and saying "Je Suis Charlie"?

The justifications would extend:
    • They are just pictures/pixels/words/ink
    • They are not harming anyone
    • If you don't like it don't look at it

Or would your response be different, at the risk of offending non-white, Jewish, etc. colleagues and friends?

I'm quite curious if you would be offensive just for the sake of it when someone in your social circle would actually be affected (how many of you have Muslim friends/colleagues vs. non-white friends/colleagues)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saywhatm8)
    Would the reaction be the same if something like Stormfront were attacked?
    No, because these people murdered journalists. That is why it is getting slightly special media attention: in particular the cartoons and other artwork.

The targeted newspaper were satirical liberalists, not a hate-mongering elitist organisation.

Stormfront would get much less sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    No, because these people murdered journalists. That is why it is getting slightly special media attention: in particular the cartoons and other artwork.

The targeted newspaper were satirical liberalists, not a hate-mongering elitist organisation.

Stormfront would get much less sympathy.
    Like Charlie Hebdo, the writers and illustrators of the type of content found on Stormfront are just invoking their right to free speech in the form of an inflammatory social commentary.

Why would you not be equally sympathetic if someone murdered them? Does your personal relationship with/feelings towards the target of the content affect your willingness to express support?

ReputationRep:
    Does your personal relationship with/feelings towards the target of the content affect your willingness to express support?
    For many people it does.

ReputationRep:
    What is stormfront tho? I keep hearing about it. Sounds like a nazi extension board of TSR. Is it like a secret subsection? How do I get a pass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    What is stormfront though?
    You can either Google it and go to their web sites and see for yourself (leaving that trail in your browser history) or read the Wikipedia entry.

(Original post by Wikipedia entry introdction)
    Stormfront is a white nationalist, white supremacist and neo-Nazi internet forum that was the internet's first major racial hate site.

Stormfront began as an online bulletin board system in the early 1990s before being established as a website in 1995 by former Ku Klux Klan leader and white nationalist activist Don Black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    You can either Google it and go to their web sites and see for yourself (leaving that trail in your browser history) or read the Wikipedia entry.
    But what exactly attracted these people to join TSR?

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if we would see #IAMSTORMFRONT hashtags and major newspapers/websites publishing the inflammatory material posted on their site.

Would you change your signature to offensive caricatures of non-white people, Jews, etc. and declare "I am Stormfront" in the same way many of you are changing your signature to offensive caricatures of religious figureheads and saying "Je Suis Charlie"?

The justifications would extend:
    • They are just pictures/pixels/words/ink
    • They are not harming anyone
    • If you don't like it don't look at it

Or would your response be different, at the risk of offending non-white, Jewish, etc. colleagues and friends?

I'm quite curious if you would be offensive just for the sake of it when someone in your social circle would actually be affected (how many of you have Muslim friends/colleagues vs. non-white friends/colleagues)?
    its not a relevant comparison, stormfront have more in common with various islamist groups than a french leftist satirical paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenglishnogood)
    its not a relevant comparison, stormfront have more in common with various islamist groups than a french leftist satirical paper
    E.g. Nation of Islam. When I first saw their web site some years ago, I thought it was some sort of clever KKK parody site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenglishnogood)
    Does the content matter? It's just text and drawings, after all; if you don't like it don't look at it. Why shouldn't their content be supported and reposted like Charlie Hebdo's is?

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a difference between sympathy and support. If Stormfront were attacked I would feel sympathy for the deceased and would condemn the attackers, but I wouldn't go as far as "Je suis Stormfront" because I don't agree with the group itself. I do agree with what Charlie Hebdo were doing however, and so it goes a bit further as I am supporting them on principle not just feeling sympathy for them as victims.

ReputationRep:
    Does the content matter? It's just text and drawings, after all; if you don't like it don't look at it. Why shouldn't their content be supported and reposted like Charlie Hebdo's is?
    you could say that about re-tweeting alqueda and other islamist propaganda. if thats what you want to do, go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    E.g. Nation of Islam. When I first saw their web site some years ago, I thought it was some sort of clever KKK parody site.
    amoun others. the KKK have been seen together to promote anti- semetic agendas in the usa beelive it or not. they have more in common that youd think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    What is stormfront tho? I keep hearing about it. Sounds like a nazi extension board of TSR. Is it like a secret subsection? How do I get a pass?
    These days its full of Jew hating nutters.

ReputationRep:
    I believe journalism should be above mocking and insulting - it should be objective and fair. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. So no, I don't support Charlie and I will never support anything like that. Ever.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.