Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys , i would like to get some advices from you is it possible to live in london and travel to Reading daily to study as it takes 30mins from Paddington Station. I want to stay in london with my friends and this is the reason why. I now hav 2 choices between QMUL and Henley , my major is management , please give me suggestions

ReputationRep:
    If you're prepared to make the commute then I really don't see why not so long as you get there in time in the mornings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frances98)
    If you're prepared to make the commute then I really don't see why not so long as you get there in time in the mornings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im thinking bout QMUL or Reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Pasong)
    Hi guys , i would like to get some advices from you is it possible to live in london and travel to Reading daily to study as it takes 30mins from Paddington Station. I want to stay in london with my friends and this is the reason why. I now hav 2 choices between QMUL and Henley , my major is management , please give me suggestions

Hello!

If you are prepared to commute from Paddington and you don't live too far then it should be ok. Many people do this commute already and still been able to enjoy university life, join societies, make friends etc.

There is a bus that goes straight from the station to the inside of the university campus and from there its roughly a 2 minute walk to the business building.

You will have days in the week where you won't be required to go into campus for lectures or seminars. There may be however, days where you only have one lecture that is perhaps one hour which will be annoying and might make you less inclined to go in! There may also be days where there are two separate things on at completely different times- say one in the morning and one at the end of the day for example, so you would have to stay on campus. Whilst this is good for motivating you to do work in between the two lectures or seminars, it may be a pain at times. These are just some things to consider, but as I said before, many people already do this commute and have enjoyed university! If you're prepared to commute then it shouldn't be a problem and you can always move to Reading after your first year.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.
    Pip, third year History of Art and English Literature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    Hello!

If you are prepared to commute from Paddington and you don't live too far then it should be ok. Many people do this commute already and still been able to enjoy university life, join societies, make friends etc.

There is a bus that goes straight from the station to the inside of the university campus and from there its roughly a 2 minute walk to the business building.

You will have days in the week where you won't be required to go into campus for lectures or seminars. There may be however, days where you only have one lecture that is perhaps one hour which will be annoying and might make you less inclined to go in! There may also be days where there are two separate things on at completely different times- say one in the morning and one at the end of the day for example, so you would have to stay on campus. Whilst this is good for motivating you to do work in between the two lectures or seminars, it may be a pain at times. These are just some things to consider, but as I said before, many people already do this commute and have enjoyed university! If you're prepared to commute then it shouldn't be a problem and you can always move to Reading after your first year.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.
    Pip, third year History of Art and English Literature
    Thank you for your advices BTW, how much does it normally cost to travel from paddington to reading ( the cheapest way )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Pasong)
    Thank you for your advices BTW, how much does it normally cost to travel from paddington to reading ( the cheapest way )Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello,

Firstly I recommend getting a 16-25 railcard as this give you a discount when buying train tickets. The costs of travelling from Paddington depends on what time you go. Peak times are more expensive, however it is likely there will be a range of start times on your timetable. An off peak return ticket with a railcard is around £12. You may be able to get a seasonal ticket which might work out cheaper as you will be going to Reading and back regularly.

Check these sites for more information:
    For railcard: http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk
    For train fares: http://www.southernrailway.com
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

If any more questions pop up just say!
    Pip

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.