Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are trains so expensive? I can't travel to see my friend. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I live in Sheffield. To travel from Sheffield to London on train is £90.

I'm a student and can't afford £90 to see my friend for a few days over the holiday.

Why is it cheaper to fly from UK to most European cities than it is to take a train from Sheffield to London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uncouth body)

I'm a student and can't afford £90 to see my friend for a few days over the holiday.

Why is it cheaper to fly from UK to most European cities than it is to take a train from Sheffield to London?
    When are you travelling? And do you have a railcard? That would make it cheaper and it's a lot cheaper booking in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    £10-14 each way.

Book in advance ya dingus.
    Really? Show me. I tried to book in advance book I got very awkward times. Leaving at midnight. Returning at 1AM in the morning...

ReputationRep:
    MegaBus - £5

ReputationRep:
    Book in advance always and get a railcard.

The 16-25 railcard has saved me fortunes.

ReputationRep:
    http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...80315/1830/dep
    (typical weekend trip, 2 months in advance without a railcard, costs that much)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah megabus is the cheapest option

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get a coach?

ReputationRep:
    Train fares are ridiculous; some of the most expensive in Europe. That said, the service and quality of trains is better than in some countries.

Getting a young persons rail card has saved me so much money over the years, well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe go on the Megabus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Get a coach?
    Someone to coach him on finding better train prices? That actually seems like a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uncouth body)

You could look into coach travel. Obviously takes longer but is much cheaper.

Or just book tickets well in advance. I only need to travel from Exeter to Bristol (about an hour on the train) but if you book in the last few days it'll be about £25 each way, whereas booking a couple of weeks in advance I can often pick up a return ticket for around £5.

ReputationRep:
    It often depends on when you book - I can get from Preston to Edinburgh and back for £18 if I book a month in advance. Also don't just try National Rail - try East Midlands Trains, East Coast, Virgin Trains, try every major operator as they'll all offer fares at various prices.

ReputationRep:
    Megabus is definetly a cheap option but so is National express. I would highly recommend Getwayz.It's a coach comparison site with providers such as megabus, national express, terravision,etc. It has a flexible calendar search feature that finds deals as low as £1.Hope this helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.