Turn on thread page Beta

(linked with computer equipment) building a pc watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i'm building a hole new computer is there any 1 that can help i've got 18 hundred pounds to spend on it but i want a dvd rewriter and a couler laser printer, good graphics and sound (able to run halo with ease)
    don't need a moniter, keybourd and a mouse got them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daz4000)
    i'm building a hole new computer is there any 1 that can help i've got 18 hundred pounds to spend on it but i want a dvd rewriter and a couler laser printer, good graphics and sound (able to run halo with ease)
    I went to newegg.com to get all the componenets of my computer. I searched around for the best quality for the best price. Newegg doesn't ship over seas so there is probably a website similar for britian.

ReputationRep:
    Spending £1800 is quite silly if you ask me coz your gonna be buying a system thats gonna be outdated in a couple of years. Why not just spend round about £500 on the system coz thats all you should need. The only thing that will set yuo back a pretty penny is the colour laser printer and the toners for it coz they are quite exp! You should be able to pick one up for about £600 and say £100 for the toners. I would suggest spending £1200 on ur system and £600 on urself, spend some mad money, thats what i none and i got an ace pc, a quad and a heap o new clothes for me and the blonde, i reccomend the same!

ReputationRep:
    You can get cheap parts off eBay, and try loot.com for monitors and towers.

I spent £300 last summer and got a new tower, DVD and CDRW drives, a 2.6ghz Athlon chip, new motherboard and plenty of RAM.

ReputationRep:
    You can build a hell of a computer for less than half your £1800 budget.

ReputationRep:
    Yep you can get a pretty much state of the art machine for £1000 or less. My system would cost about £400 to build and is fine for any multimedia stuff I through at it.

Spend £800 tops and spend the rest of the money on a holiday or studies. You can buy a perfectly good car for £1800 these days.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a good laser printer, that will set you back about £300 and the graphics card, good enough to run halo, and still be able to run forth-coming releases, I would say will cost you about £150

I would get an AMD athlon 3000+ with high end motherboard, maybe 512MB DDR 3000 from kingston.

Do you want a lot of storage space?

ReputationRep:
    Best place to get your parts from is ebuyer.com

But £1800, christ!

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Many cards out will be able to run halo, just depends on the resolution and quality
    Of course if you want to spend all the money on your PC, best graphics card to buy would be a GeForce6800ULTRA (NVIDIA) or a X800Pro or XT (ATi) - these'll cost about £300-400 though and will be available sometime this month.
    Just about any soundcard will do unless you want really high quality surround sound, then it'll probably be best to go with Creative.
    On the CPU, again, if you want to spend all the money you have, you could go for an Athlon64 which is fast and should be easily upgradable in a few years (unless AMD decide to drop a pin from the desktop boards as well)

ReputationRep:
    My whole system cost about £1700 roughly 6 months ago. At the time it was pretty much the best of everything available. This included 3.0Ghz p4 (800Mhz FSB), radeon 9800pro, audigy 2, 17" tft, dvd+writer, 768mb PC3200 ram and 160GB 7200rpm HD.

If you dont need a monitor, keyboard etc. you could probably build this now for about £1000 + the cost of your laser printer.

ReputationRep:
    i've looked at this web address and i've built a pc for about £900 with laser printer thanks any way

ReputationRep:
    How wonderfully mad of you to spend £1800 on a PC. Me personally, I wouldn't bother building my own system, I'd actually buy a whole new system from Dell, as they do really decent spec PC's for really cheap prices due to their economies of scale, whereas if you built it yourself you have the hassle of all those darn wires/peripherals/etc, and it works out more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Visit www.overclockers.co.uk Plenty of useful help on building a powerful PC for under £1,000 (maybe build a second PC with the money left over!) from the forums.

ReputationRep:
    One thing - dont buy the very top of the range as it costs at least twice the price for not much improvement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    One thing - dont buy the very top of the range as it costs at least twice the price for not much improvement
    Yea, an example is the Radeon 9800XT. It costs at least 50% more than a Radeon 9800pro (which you can get for as cheap as £120 these days) but doesn't perform much better. Also, if you have sufficient cooling, a mobile Barton 2500+ will easily overclock to 3200+ speeds, thus saving you like £80-100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    Although it depends when you say that. Radeon 9800XT gives very little improvement (usually only a few fps between that and the 9800PRO) The new cards (6800ULTRA and X800XT) give about 2x performance in some cases. Especially the 6800ULTRA is worth buying over the previous NVIDIA cards as they're now using new AA (same as ATi now) and has support for Pixel Shader 3.0 (although it's being argued whether this developers can actually use this to make graphics look better or whether it's just for better performance)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    How wonderfully mad of you to spend £1800 on a PC. Me personally, I wouldn't bother building my own system, I'd actually buy a whole new system from Dell, as they do really decent spec PC's for really cheap prices due to their economies of scale, whereas if you built it yourself you have the hassle of all those darn wires/peripherals/etc, and it works out more expensive.
    no it doesnt. my pc is way better than anything i caould afford from dell, and i know it inside out, so that if anything goes wrong (and it hasnt yet) i can fix it pretty quickly.

and as for graphics cards, steer clear of nVidia. They dont run as fast (can be debated tho) as ATi cards, and definitely dont produce video of the same standard of ATi cards.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here know or have a shuttle case? I was looking into building my own, probably using the SS51G case. Just interested for any opinions about it.

ReputationRep:
    why not go to a pc shop buy a new pc and then get a dvd rewriter if it hasnt got 1. anyway, microsoft r bringin out a whole new operating system soon so ild wait if i were u.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeSuS_sLiCeR)
    anyway, microsoft r bringin out a whole new operating system soon so ild wait if i were u.
    Don't get your hopes up for anytime soon. Also be intelligent to buy it when a service pack has been released, as it invariably will.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.