The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JeSuS_sLiCeR
why not go to a pc shop buy a new pc and then get a dvd rewriter if it hasnt got 1. anyway, microsoft r bringin out a whole new operating system soon so ild wait if i were u.

Because the PCs you get in PC shops are quite often crap made with the cheapest parts possible. You also have to pay for the sales mans commision on top of everything else. Also you can't specify exactly what you want.
Reply 21
G4ry
Does anyone here know or have a shuttle case? I was looking into building my own, probably using the SS51G case. Just interested for any opinions about it.

shuttles are *very* cool, and still run as fast as a normal size pc. if you can afford the trade-off of expandability for size, go for it!
Reply 22
Dickie
shuttles are *very* cool, and still run as fast as a normal size pc. if you can afford the trade-off of expandability for size, go for it!

I saw a shuttle and fell in love with it. It's so small and nice. Only gripes are the floppy and CD drives aren't the same colour as the front (although i could sort that out). My real main issue, is that i've worked with computers and have a fair amount of experience, but would be a bit worried of building my own computer and sorting out the software. I know the shuttle comes with a lot of documentation, but i'm sure i'd screw something up :tongue: Any opinions?
Reply 23
G4ry
I saw a shuttle and fell in love with it. It's so small and nice. Only gripes are the floppy and CD drives aren't the same colour as the front (although i could sort that out). My real main issue, is that i've worked with computers and have a fair amount of experience, but would be a bit worried of building my own computer and sorting out the software. I know the shuttle comes with a lot of documentation, but i'm sure i'd screw something up :tongue: Any opinions?

it really is very easy to build a pc. as long as you read the manuals (esp the shuttle manual) before you start, and know where everything goes, you'll be fine. Have a look at your own pc now, and try to see where everything goes together and try to rebuild it (ie take everything out, and put it together again)
Reply 24
Dickie
it really is very easy to build a pc. as long as you read the manuals (esp the shuttle manual) before you start, and know where everything goes, you'll be fine. Have a look at your own pc now, and try to see where everything goes together and try to rebuild it (ie take everything out, and put it together again)

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll speak to my computer expert friend and if i muck it up i'll pay him to help me. I may not get a computer, i just prefer them so much more to the boring ugly Dell boxes.

I can't exactly take my computer to pieces, it's the only one in the house and if i muck it up i'll get lynched :biggrin: What about the software issue though? Setting up the BIOS and getting the computer to install XP from CD, that should be ok once you've set the BIOS to boot up from the CD, shouldn't it?
Reply 25
G4ry
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll speak to my computer expert friend and if i muck it up i'll pay him to help me. I may not get a computer, i just prefer them so much more to the boring ugly Dell boxes.

I can't exactly take my computer to pieces, it's the only one in the house and if i muck it up i'll get lynched :biggrin: What about the software issue though? Setting up the BIOS and getting the computer to install XP from CD, that should be ok once you've set the BIOS to boot up from the CD, shouldn't it?

yep. once you set the bios to boot from the cd, it should install XP fine.
Reply 26
Dickie
yep. once you set the bios to boot from the cd, it should install XP fine.

Thanks for the help, do you know if the shuttle's come with graphics cards in the barebone pack, or do i have to shell out for one of those on top?
Reply 27
G4ry
Thanks for the help, do you know if the shuttle's come with graphics cards in the barebone pack, or do i have to shell out for one of those on top?

i think you have to shell out for one :rolleyes: if you do get a shuttle (or need/want a new graphics card for any reason), wait for a few weeks, because the graphics card prices are likely to drop soon because of the new cards being released.
Reply 28
Dickie
i think you have to shell out for one :rolleyes: if you do get a shuttle (or need/want a new graphics card for any reason), wait for a few weeks, because the graphics card prices are likely to drop soon because of the new cards being released.

I probably won't get my computer until August, so nothing to worry about there.

Latest

Trending

Trending