The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZedTV
When do students start their epq study?im in year 11 now, going into a level study from September 2020. I’m taking 4 alevels- maths, bio, sociology and RS and an epq. Does the epq start in year13? Because I wanted to do an AS qualification , 1 year in sociology and then drop it so I’m focus on the epq in year 2

It will vary depending on your school...some do it mainly in year 12 others start at the end of year 12/ start of year 13. You may want to contact your school/college and see what they do. Just out of interest why do you plan to do an AS in sociology, bearing in mind unis don't have to take them into account as they are normally not offered.
Reply 501
Original post by Becca216
It will vary depending on your school...some do it mainly in year 12 others start at the end of year 12/ start of year 13. You may want to contact your school/college and see what they do. Just out of interest why do you plan to do an AS in sociology, bearing in mind unis don't have to take them into account as they are normally not offered.

well, theres loads of factors. I still want to keep my options open and.ive done my research. AS is more uncommon now but I want more workload coz I have bo life lol and it could help in the future?
Original post by ZedTV
well, theres loads of factors. I still want to keep my options open and.ive done my research. AS is more uncommon now but I want more workload coz I have bo life lol and it could help in the future?

First of all have you checked if your school offers AS, I know my college only offer an AS in further maths but that is because they think its useful if you want to do maths at uni, but don't want to do 4 alevels.

As someone who does 4 alevels the work load is heavy and for me the only reason I do it is because it will be useful for me to have further maths when applying to uni. If you are doing 4 you need to have something to motivate you. If you are happy with that, great! it keeps your options open and hopefully by the end of year 12 you will have a better idea of what you want to do at uni....
Reply 503
Original post by Becca216
First of all have you checked if your school offers AS, I know my college only offer an AS in further maths but that is because they think its useful if you want to do maths at uni, but don't want to do 4 alevels.

As someone who does 4 alevels the work load is heavy and for me the only reason I do it is because it will be useful for me to have further maths when applying to uni. If you are doing 4 you need to have something to motivate you. If you are happy with that, great! it keeps your options open and hopefully by the end of year 12 you will have a better idea of what you want to do at uni....

I had an idea- I wanna do my 5000 words on the misconception on terrorism in islam as it's something I feel strong about. I can add history, teachings, examples. for and against (where against is stromger) real life studies etc... any ideas or tips? is this a good idea?
Original post by ZedTV
I had an idea- I wanna do my 5000 words on the misconception on terrorism in islam as it's something I feel strong about. I can add history, teachings, examples. for and against (where against is stromger) real life studies etc... any ideas or tips? is this a good idea?
This is an interesting idea. Perhaps place a time limit on it too? (ie in the 21st century.)
Reply 505
Original post by 04MR17
This is an interesting idea. Perhaps place a time limit on it too? (ie in the 21st century.)

What were you thinking of doing?
Reply 506
What topic did u do ur EPQ on
Original post by ZedTV
What were you thinking of doing?

Original post by mys7a

I wrote my EPQ a couple of years ago about a Identity Crisis and Youth. :smile:
How many pages of work did you write? That sounds interesting.
Original post by carawilson1001
How many pages of work did you write? That sounds interesting.

I think mine was around 30 ish.

My undergrad dissertation was about 50, and that was over 10k words, for context. Page length really depends on the kind of thing you're writing though. If you've got graphs then you'll have a considerably longer essay in page terms.
(edited 3 years ago)
Really? 30 pages of work??
I mean, a lot depends on the line spacing. But generally take each page to be 300-400 words.
If you are doing an artifact, I am assuming most of your research goes into your logbook and then you summarise it all in the 1000 word essay - is that correct?
Hi sorry this is like 5 years too late but I'm doing mine on the shadow economy and just submitted my draft and my teacher told me that it needed to be more analytical? Does this mean I have to talk about my own opinion and how I feel about it? I feel like mine is more of an academic journal kind of essay where I literally explain the shadow economy and I'm just not sure on how to make it more analytical
Original post by severustina
Hi sorry this is like 5 years too late but I'm doing mine on the shadow economy and just submitted my draft and my teacher told me that it needed to be more analytical? Does this mean I have to talk about my own opinion and how I feel about it? I feel like mine is more of an academic journal kind of essay where I literally explain the shadow economy and I'm just not sure on how to make it more analytical
Academic journals are not explanatory, they are evaluative, critical. Tell me if the shadow economy is any good, what works and what doesn't - and why. Have yourself a debate. Describing something for a few thousand words won't get you into the higher marking bands.
Reply 515
For those who have used project Q for their EPQ, how long and detailed does the production log sections have to be to achieve high marks (Part A Candidate proposal, planning review etc).
Anything is appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by Mark R
For those who have used project Q for their EPQ, how long and detailed does the production log sections have to be to achieve high marks (Part A Candidate proposal, planning review etc).
Anything is appreciated. Thanks!

Not too long but i would say a paragraph for each question or more if needed and try to explain in as much detail of what you are planning to do in your epq and any ideas you have disregarded and why, or anything you have changed, this shows examiners that you have been able to overcome a problem and solve it in order to improve you project. I hope that helped x

i wrote in font size 12 and used paragraphs and it was no where near that long i think it was about 8/9 pages? But depends on the font size you use and also if you are including the bibliography as that is fairly long if you have included references and citations
Original post by mys7a

my question was "what are the most significant factors in creating a serial killer?"
Hi there do you have any idea about if you are allowed to do the EPQ in pairs? Can you work on the research together and create separate but similar dissertations?

Latest

Trending

Trending