Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PM won't debate without the Greens! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the Green Party be part of the TV debates?
    Yes
    82.14%
    No
    17.86%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    *Breaking news*

Cameron has claimed that he will not take part in the live debates planned in the run up to election unless the Green Party are also included.

BBC have quoted Cameron as saying that he would be "quite happy for there to be no debates at all" during the campaign.

So far, Labour, Lib Dems, Conservatives and UKIP are due to take part.

Do you think the Green Party need to be involved?

What's the reasoning behind the PM not wanting to take part? :holmes:

News story here
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    *Breaking news*

Cameron has claimed that he will not take part in the live debates planned in the run up to election unless the Green Party are also included.

BBC have quoted Cameron as saying that he would be "quite happy for there to be no debates at all" during the campaign.

News story here
    Yes they definitely deserve to be involved - they're polling similar numbers to Lib Dems at the moment.

I'm sure David Cameron has an ulterior motive though, he's not just saying it for reasons of fairness - he wants Labour voters to move to Greens and split the left vote.

ReputationRep:
    Don't care. They're left wing loonies.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I hope the greens get on, they deserve a place and should cut into all the parties
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Clip)
    Don't care. They're left wing loonies.
    Many of the locals in Brighton have been less than impressed with them! Would you care if all of the debates didn't take place? Do you think they help voters make a decision?

(Original post by jenhasdreams)

I'm sure David Cameron has an ulterior motive though, he's not just saying it for reasons of fairness - he wants Labour voters to move to Greens and split the left vote.
    That's a very interesting point :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Yes they definitely deserve to be involved - they're polling similar numbers to Lib Dems at the moment.

This.

One problem of including UKIP and the Greens then becomes what of the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the DUP, Sein Fein etc. They all have MPs but will their parties be included in debates? No.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    *Breaking news*

News story here
    I'll be happy if the Greens are allowed to take part in the debates (it's a scandal if they're not) but as said above, this definitely isn't a case of Cameron suddenly becoming eco-friendly and altruistic. Having said that, I do think the debates are generally a load of nonsense, it'd just be nice to get some people talking a bit of sense (i.e. Green Party) in them.

ReputationRep:
    Many of the locals in Brighton have been less than impressed with them! Would you care if all of the debates didn't take place? Do you think they help voters make a decision?
    They're all very impressive to people who don't have to be represented by them. They're no different to the BNP in this respect. People with hardline tendencies (but not necessarily outright fanaticism) vote for these extremist parties safe in the knowledge that at best they'll end up with a few local councillors, who won't really make much impact beyond tinkering with the day the recycling gets picked up.

But when they exceed expectations and end up with MPs, you're in trouble.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    One problem of including UKIP and the Greens then becomes what of the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the DUP, Sein Fein etc. They all have MPs but will their parties be included in debates? No.
    Exactly my thoughts. However, I think the Green's should be part of the debate.

As for Cameron's motives, there's obviously a chance that Labour voters will go Green, but maybe it's also for him to appear as a nice, friendly, fair guy, though he obviously isn't.

ReputationRep:
    The Greens are a vile party intent on driving the economy into the ground, but given their popularity they have as much reason to be included in the debates as UKIP or the Lib Dems.

Cameron is in a good position. If there is a debate the Greens will take votes away from Labour and even if they don't participate he is still a smoother talker than Miliband. Don't understand why he wouldn't want the debates.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    This.

It's a bit different because Greens and UKIP are standing for far far more seats than any of the others listed. Perhaps debates on local TV stations would be more relevant.

ReputationRep:
    If you include the greens then you have to include SNP and DUP etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    Last election I was just getting interested in politics, and the debates really helped me understand the differences between the parties, and where my loyaties lie! I think they are really important in getting people, especially young people, informed about politics so they definitely need to go ahead.

If the greens want in, why not? I probably wont vote for them, but it would be interesting anyway.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Clip)
    They're all very impressive to people who don't have to be represented by them. They're no different to the BNP in this respect. People with hardline tendencies (but not necessarily outright fanaticism) vote for these extremist parties safe in the knowledge that at best they'll end up with a few local councillors, who won't really make much impact beyond tinkering with the day the recycling gets picked up.

They couldn't even do that right - we've had more recycling and garbage disposal strikes than ever before. Thousands of pounds spent on 20mph signage and rules even though the local police won't enforce it as a speed limit; total waste of time. Going off topic now but this is Brighton's experience.

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    As for Cameron's motives, there's obviously a chance that Labour voters will go Green, but maybe it's also for him to appear as a nice, friendly, fair guy, though he obviously isn't.
    Well he's just gone and given them lots of lovely publicity by making this comment to the press so potentially Cameron has started to roll out the strategy you're referring too.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Do you believe that the Green Party should also be part of the debate including the Conservatives, Labour, The Lib Dems and UKIP?

David Cameron has stated that he will not take part unless the Green's are present.

On a side note, if the Greens are part of the debate what about parties like the SNP, DUP and Sinn Fein?

Personally, I think the Green's should be part of the debate.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Clip)

A single MP can't really do much damage. IMO, the Green councilors in Brighton have done much worse than Lucas has as an MP. We've had a lengthy refuse workers strike, several unpopular decisions regarding traffic control and parking, and a ghastly observation tower got the green light from them too.

I definitely won't be voting Green the next time council elections come up, but I wouldn't be too opposed to a Green MP, at least based on the last term's performance. Would depend heavily on their manifesto, of course.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Sorry to steal your thunder a little, but I just had to make a poll for this

ReputationRep:

Some clever insights right there!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Sorry to steal your thunder a little, but I just had to make a poll for this
    Top idea! I've merged our threads

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.