Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has been covered before. Out of interest for what duration of time is your theory test valid for once you've passed? It's just that i want to start my driving but fear with the time period i have allowed myself it will no longer be feasible; and would like to get one of the hurdles out of the way.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandrake)
    Apologies if this has been covered before. Out of interest for what duration of time is your theory test valid for once you've passed? It's just that i want to start my driving but fear with the time period i have allowed myself it will no longer be feasible; and would like to get one of the hurdles out of the way.

Thanks for any help.
    2 years!!

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any help.
    you may want to take your theory test while you're having lessons - midway through is my recommendation. They will complement each other, and you will find that you learn about new road signs/safety rules as you learn to drive, which will help you in your theory test. or vice versa. I certainly found that I learnt more by taking the two around the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Aaarghhh!!! Don't even get me started on driving lessons. Today the instructor/bully sarcastically said, ''Where are you going this year again, medical school?''-just because I messed up with some road theory. I just said ''Driving and medicine are incompatible''-anything to shut him up. He makes me feel so small!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    you may want to take your theory test while you're having lessons - midway through is my recommendation. They will complement each other, and you will find that you learn about new road signs/safety rules as you learn to drive, which will help you in your theory test. or vice versa. I certainly found that I learnt more by taking the two around the same time.
    Ok, the thing is. I was learning last year (i had about 16 lessons) i learnt all the manoeuvres and needed a bit more confidence but apart from that i was good at driving. I never got around to booking my theory test, stopped having lessons in May because i wanted to focus on my A levels. Now i'm on a gap year and it's May again, i'm going to uni in September. Working full time until June and haven't got a theory test or got behind the wheel since May. I was just thinking about starting up the driving again; but i don't know how feaislbe this is because i've heard of having to wait 3 months just for a driving test. Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the thing is. I was learning last year (i had about 16 lessons) i learnt all the manoeuvres and needed a bit more confidence but apart from that i was good at driving. I never got around to booking my theory test, stopped having lessons in May because i wanted to focus on my A levels. Now i'm on a gap year and it's May again, i'm going to uni in September. Working full time until June and haven't got a theory test or got behind the wheel since May. I was just thinking about starting up the driving again; but i don't know how feaislbe this is because i've heard of having to wait 3 months just for a driving test. Any opinions?
    i've just had 16 lessons as well . 3 months is a max as far as I know. I've just booked my practical for 2nd July - so it's approx an 8 week wait for me, although it does vary from region to region. although be aware that driving test instructors go away on holiday as well, so there may be a longer waiting time during the summer.

I'd recommend you book your theory asap, take it, and then book your driving test. if you find an instructor soon, you'll have plenty of time to get some more lessons - 10 weeks, maybe more. approaching your practical, you'll be having 2 hour lessons anyway, and apparently 25 lessons is a good average for people taking their first test. get it all over with before uni - that's what I'm trying to do as well.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are very confident at driving dont do it. I didmy theory 10 lessons in and hated driving that much that I ended up quitting. My theory ran out after 2 yrs and then to pass my driving test when I finally convinced myself to give it another go meant i had to take the theory again!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the late reply, i'm trying to fix 17 computers on a network with the sasser virus and a terrible internet connection - not fun i'm going to be here all day.

Getting back to the driving, i may be going travelling so i really don't know if it's worth taking up my driving, or just taking the theory now and learning next summer. I really don't want to leave it too long as time will run out and it'd be good to get it out of the way; it's just looking very unlikely with the time i have left.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the late reply, i'm trying to fix 17 computers on a network with the sasser virus and a terrible internet connection - not fun i'm going to be here all day.

Getting back to the driving, i may be going travelling so i really don't know if it's worth taking up my driving, or just taking the theory now and learning next summer. I really don't want to leave it too long as time will run out and it'd be good to get it out of the way; it's just looking very unlikely with the time i have left.
    well it's entirely up to you whether you want to drive this summer or not!

what kind of work are you doing on your gap? fixing Sasser viruses..... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I reccomend that if you have the £££ you do your theory ASAP, then go on a weekend "guarenteed to pass course" you drive all day for 2 days then get a test. Sooner you pass, the better in my opinion, get it out of the way. But I suppose it depends how important it is for you to drive. I live quite a distance from alot of places in my home town so it is essential and virtually all of my mates have passed. But if you live in a big city and a car really wouldn't be very beneficial then dont bother your arse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working in computer support and at the moment am currently at a school.

Driving's not "really" important to me, i'm not going to be taking up a car to university (which i'll be at for 3-4 years) and i'm not going to have a car sitting on my drive at home doing nothing - because that's just a waste of money. So it's not essential. It's just i'm going to be 19 soon and it's a bit embarassing that all my other friends drive and the bus is getting boring.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you dont need a licience, although can be usefull for summer jobs blah blah and when your home to drive your parents car. Its up to you. But you shouldn't feel embarrassed just cause your mates can drive. I am young for my year, so alot of my mates were 17 before me and I consequently was one of the last to pass (still passed when I was 17) this sort of annoyed me, but in the end its your desicion.

Whatya gonna do?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    Whatya gonna do?!
    Pass

I may book a theory test, and speak to the instructor that i used to have and see what he thinks. I don't need a licence, it's just if i get one now it means i can get more points for when i do start driving. Also my insurance will be cheaper (providing i don't get any points). So it does have it's advantages even though i may not be driving in the immediate future. I may just go travelling (if i could think of somewhere decent to go.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    Aaarghhh!!! Don't even get me started on driving lessons. Today the instructor/bully sarcastically said, ''Where are you going this year again, medical school?''-just because I messed up with some road theory. I just said ''Driving and medicine are incompatible''-anything to shut him up. He makes me feel so small!! :mad:
    I would remind him you are paying him to do a job, not be sarcastic. I'd then inform him that it is well known fact motor skills are more advanced in people with low IQ.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was just wondering how many people on average take their cars with them to University?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kraslan)
    Hey

I was just wondering how many people on average take their cars with them to University?
    i take mine to college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kraslan)
    Hey

In my halls there are 800 people and about 100 cars, so about 1 in 8 here.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any help.
    2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    i take mine to college
    Originally Posted by kraslan
    (Original post by Baron)
    In my halls there are 800 people and about 100 cars, so about 1 in 8 here.
    And are your universities located in small cities/towns? Or are they located in big cities like Manchester and London?

Also, how much does a liter/gallon of fuel cost in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    I'd then inform him that it is well known fact motor skills are more advanced in people with low IQ.
    Really? How do you know?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.