bobby135
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am working on a hypothetical scenario given by the university....

If the builder has started work, I have already given him the first instalments, however I soon realised that the work he has completed is off poor quality, so I asked him to stop so that I can find someone else more skilful to complete it.

Am I in breach of the contract, can the build claim anything from me in return ?:confused::confused:

Thanks
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe.

If the builder has committed a repudiatory breach of contract by completing poor quality work, then you don't commit a breach of contract by terminating the contract. If the builder hasn't committed a repudiatory breach then your wrongful prevention of his continuing the work is a breach of contract.

I suppose a building contract will usually have specific terms as to quality. In their absence, s 13 SGSA 1982 just says that the work must be carried out with reasonable care and skill. It's an innominate term so whether a breach of it entitles the other party to terminate will depend on the seriousness of the breach. So it will depend on the facts. If he's messed up a little bit of paint work on the skirting board you can't terminate. If he's building the house out of matchsticks instead of bricks you can...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads