Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am working on a hypothetical scenario given by the university....

If the builder has started work, I have already given him the first instalments, however I soon realised that the work he has completed is off poor quality, so I asked him to stop so that I can find someone else more skilful to complete it.

Am I in breach of the contract, can the build claim anything from me in return ?:confused::confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maybe.

If the builder has committed a repudiatory breach of contract by completing poor quality work, then you don't commit a breach of contract by terminating the contract. If the builder hasn't committed a repudiatory breach then your wrongful prevention of his continuing the work is a breach of contract.

I suppose a building contract will usually have specific terms as to quality. In their absence, s 13 SGSA 1982 just says that the work must be carried out with reasonable care and skill. It's an innominate term so whether a breach of it entitles the other party to terminate will depend on the seriousness of the breach. So it will depend on the facts. If he's messed up a little bit of paint work on the skirting board you can't terminate. If he's building the house out of matchsticks instead of bricks you can...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.