Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any statistics or experience of clearing that would give me an idea of how the usual entry requirements compare to the grades that students that apply through clearing achieve?

In other words, would you usually end up somewhere that normally wants higher, lower or the same grades as you actually got?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I know of three clearing situations that went rather well:

1. My sister in law originally wanted to go to Glasgow, but didn't quite meet her offer. So, she rang Leeds up and spoke to them and ended up at Leeds and LOVED it. Plus, she met my brother there, which I imagine was a bonus. But away from that, Leeds and Glasgow are both Russell Group and both high quality and respected.

2.My friend who wanted to go to Birmingham didn't get the marks he wanted for his Theoretical Physics course, but I believe he's studying Physics at Birmingham. I'm not sure what he's studying, but I know he's still going to Birmingham. (Honestly this is more a friend of a friend than my friend.)

3. My friend who wanted to go to Hull could have gone to Hull in another course, like my friend at Birmingham but decided to go for her insurance choice instead.

So to answer your question, I believe you can get into good places through clearing, but you have to be fast about it. I suggest figuring out what universities you want to check for clearing and which courses and to have the numbers programmed into your phone before you even get your results. They go fast-- be ready.

ReputationRep:
    Clearing has become a much bigger affair than it once was - it used to be very much a minority pursuit, but nowadays almost all unis participate to a significant extent (there are only 6/7 unis that don't participate at all).

As an illustration of this, when I ended up in Clearing for politics in 2010, there was only one Russell group uni with politics places. That was Liverpool, and they were only in that position because the department had been under threat of closure earlier that year. From 2012 onwards, we've seen at least ~10 RG unis in Clearing.

However, just because there is much more choice in Clearing, it doesn't mean that the right uni for you is available. Many unis won't drop grades significantly - and in particular they often won't cross the ABB threshold. Furthermore, the time pressured nature of the day means that people can end up rushing into decisions that they haven't properly researched and later come to regret. In many cases, people are better off taking a gap year (as I did) and resubmitting a properly researched application for the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurajm97)
    Does anyone have any statistics or experience of clearing that would give me an idea of how the usual entry requirements compare to the grades that students that apply through clearing achieve?

In other words, would you usually end up somewhere that normally wants higher, lower or the same grades as you actually got?

Thanks
    Most universities won't lower their offer significantly. There's not any benefit to them in getting students who will drop out quickly because they won't cope with the course. Some universities may drop their entry requirements a little for particular courses if they are really struggling to fill spaces- however, a course that's struggling to fill spaces year on year won't be financially viable, so this might lead to a less than ideal university experience.

Lots more universities do enter clearing now that the rules on quotas have been reduced. However, they are often only looking to pick up "extra" students, so they won't drop their entry requirements, and may be quite picky about who they accept.

Also, some top universities that have only recently entered clearing don't treat the applicants very well, and can leave them hanging on for days. Durham did very badly two years ago, and although it did better in 2014, it still didn't handle clearing "well" imo.

There are also lots of general disadvantages to going through clearing- such as being lower priority for accommodation. This means that waiting for clearing to try and get into a "better" uni is not a brilliant strategy.

Equally, there have been lots of changes to the university application system recently, and as there is a general election in May, we can probably expect to see more. This means that clearing 2015 could look very different to clearing 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamer583)

1. My sister in law originally wanted to go to Glasgow, but didn't quite meet her offer. So, she rang Leeds up and spoke to them and ended up at Leeds and LOVED it. Plus, she met my brother there, which I imagine was a bonus. But away from that, Leeds and Glasgow are both Russell Group and both high quality and respected.
    She didn't get less than ABB though?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people think that all Unis automatically lower their grades at Clearing and will take anyone who is upright and breathing.
    You will hear hundreds of 'my cousin got in with 3 Ds' type stories.

It isnt true.

Some hard to fill courses (MFL courses in particular or 'odd' combinations of subjects) will lower grades just to get bums on seats and 'lower' Unis that no one wants to go to tend to do this far more often than desirable RG Unis for obvious reasons.

Clearing is like the January sales - there is a reason no-one else wants a place on that course at that Uni. Do you really want a place at a Uni you have never seen and a course you've done no research into? Or would it be better to wait and apply for 2016 entry with known grades and no sense of panic?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.