Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that many companies ask for UCAS points, some say from top
    3 A-levels or equivalent, but what if the applicant has the required amount of UCAS points but from a BTEC qualification instead of A-level?

Thanks for any responses.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, BTECs are vocational qualifications so are usually preffered to A levels for jobs (especially in IT), I asked this to one of the largest companies in IT at a careers fair and they said it was great, also a lot of companies will put people throgh a BTEC or similar anyway but I knew someone who had an Extended diploma already so they immediately put him into the job and started putting him through his degree

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=yt7777;52762085]Yes it does, BTECs are vocational qualifications so are usually preffered to A levels for jobs (especially in IT), I asked this to one of the largest companies in IT at a careers fair and they said it was great, also a lot of companies will put people throgh a BTEC or similar anyway but I knew someone who had an Extended diploma already so they immediately put him into the job and started putting him through his degree[/QUOTE]

What company was that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter rocks)
    QUOTE=yt7777;52762085]Yes it does, BTECs are vocational qualifications so are usually preffered to A levels for jobs (especially in IT), I asked this to one of the largest companies in IT at a careers fair and they said it was great, also a lot of companies will put people throgh a BTEC or similar anyway but I knew someone who had an Extended diploma already so they immediately put him into the job and started putting him through his degree
    What company was that?[/QUOTE]
    Logica now called CGI i think, I planned to apply for their Sponsored degre programme but decided to go to uni instead
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Peter rocks)
    I know that many companies ask for UCAS points, some say from top
    3 A-levels or equivalent, but what if the applicant has the required amount of UCAS points but from a BTEC qualification instead of A-level?

Thanks for any responses.
    Hi,

Most companies accept points from BTECs, if they dont they would usully say on the application form but thats pretty rare! They use the tariffs table on the UCAS website to check that your BTEC points value meets their requirements:
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu.../tariff-tables.

Hope that helps,

Natalie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.