Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do accounting at Uni, but a lot of members of my family are chartered accountants and they are telling me the degree isn't really worth it. Now I am having second thoughts after all, and considering a gap year to work in an accounting firm for a year to see if I really like it. What is the best choice to make?

ReputationRep:
    I also come from a family of chartered accountants and I have a couple of cousins studying accountancy at university presently. My uncle thinks that it is a good route to go down but my dad disagrees. He did a degree in accountancy when his heart wasn't really in it. When he graduated, he worked in an accounting firm for a few months and then packed it in. He says he really regrets doing that degree now, and he wishes he would have studied something he was passionate about. Are you able to do some short term work experience during a holiday in a firm? That would give you an idea of what is involved without committing to anything major. My sister thought she wanted to do accountancy before working during the summer holidays in a firm where she discovered that it wasn't for her. She's now in her second year at uni studying Material Chemistry and couldn't be happier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semplem)
    I also come from a family of chartered accountants and I have a couple of cousins studying accountancy at university presently. My uncle thinks that it is a good route to go down but my dad disagrees. He did a degree in accountancy when his heart wasn't ****ly in it. When he graduated, he worked in an accounting firm for a few months and then packed it in. He says he ****ly regrets doing that degree now, and he wishes he would have studied something he was passionate about. Are you able to do some short term work experience during a holiday in a firm? That would give you an idea of what is involved without committing to anything major. My sister thought she wanted to do accountancy before working during the summer holidays in a firm where she discovered that it wasn't for her. She's now in her second year at uni studying Material Chemistry and couldn't be happier.
    Ah, nice good on her , I am considering doing that, I want to do something I'm going to enjoy, and chances are there are other courses that I would enjoy far more than accounting, I probably will take a gap year anyway to really consider what is the best option as in the long term it would be more beneficial. Thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    A degree in accounting is not necessary for a career in ac- the professional qualifications are the necessary ones - I would recommend you look at alternative degrees, and look at ac after uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.