Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Application to medical school advice. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi prospective medical students and current medical students my situation is as I got 8Bs and one A at gcse. In a level I am predicted to get A and 2Bs at a level (providing a few AS retakes) in biology, Chemistry and Psychology.
    My question to you is should I apply to undergraduate medicine directly? or will my gcse performance and the fact I am resiting some AS exams hinder my performance? If I am not eligible to apply what is the best route into medical school for me; should I do an access course? or graduate medicine if it is graduate medicine what is the most ideal course to study beforehand so that I am eligible for the majority of medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    UK medical schools will want AAA at A-level - I can't see that ABB will cut the mustard I'm afraid, unless you have some significant extenuating circumstances you've not mentioned above.

Access courses are one option, but you'll still need to put down your A-level results on your application, which means they would still know that you got ABB.

If you aim to go down the graduate medicine route, your best bet is studying a science degree (some medical schools will accept humanities graduates, but most require a science undergraduate degree). However, you should be aware that graduate medical courses are even more competitive than undergraduate.

Have you considered doing something healthcare-related that has slightly lower A-level requirements instead?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Your GCSE performance puts a dampener on your application, but it doesn't count you out. However, you need 3 As at A-level: it's still worth gunning for that and trying to go undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googleboy96)
    Hi prospective medical students and current medical students my situation is as I got 8Bs and one A at gcse. In a level I am predicted to get A and 2Bs at a level (providing a few AS retakes) in biology, Chemistry and Psychology.
    My question to you is should I apply to undergraduate medicine directly? or will my gcse performance and the fact I am resiting some AS exams hinder my performance? If I am not eligible to apply what is the best route into medical school for me; should I do an access course? or graduate medicine if it is graduate medicine what is the most ideal course to study beforehand so that I am eligible for the majority of medical schools.

The minimum requirement for medicine at most UK unis is AAA (Keele is unusual in that it will accept A*AB in lieu of AAA), for some it is higher. Resitting AS units during your A2 year is not a major problem, but you would have to achieve AAA overall.

I assume that you are talking about applying by the October 2015 deadline for 2016 entry. If so, if you worked very hard and managed to achieve AAA this summer, then you may be able to apply for undergraduate entry medicine in October; however your GCSEs will still put you at a disadvantage & you would have to be careful to apply to apply to unis for which your GCSEs meet the minimum requirements, and who also use GCSEs less in their admissions process.

Access to medicine courses are aimed either at people who did not do science A-levels, who have no A-levels, and/or who meet certain socioeconomic criteria (from a deprived area, etc.). There are only a few medical schools who accept access courses, and those that do each have their own requirement for the college that they will accept them from (although I think that the course at Sussex Downs is accepted by more than one medical school). Have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine

Some medical schools offer medicine with a foundation year and are aimed at the same type of people as access to medicine. Have a look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...icine_Programs

Graduate medicine is extremely competitive, is aimed at people who decided to do medicine later in life, and may be phased out in the coming years anyway. Some will accept any degree, but most require or prefer a life sciences degree such as biochemistry or biomedical science. Generally it is better to try and get onto undergraduate medicine if you possibly can.

It seems to me that you need to do a bit of research into what is involved in applying to medicine, there are also the UKCAT/BMAT entrance exams, work experience etc.
    There is a good guide on the tar medicine wiki (although the entrance requirements are a little outdated), here's a link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone thank you for the advice you have to offer. from what I can see the best option is to get AAA at a level and then apply. if I am still unsuccessful(1st attempt) should I reapply or should just to the graduate route. What do you people suggest I spend doing in my gap year so that I put some additional value to my application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googleboy96)
    Hi everyone thank you for the advice you have to offer. from what I can see the best option is to get AAA at a level and then apply. if I am still unsuccessful(1st attempt) should I reapply or should just to the graduate route. What do you people suggest I spend doing in my gap year so that I put some additional value to my application.
    If you get AAA but are unsuccessful on your 1st application it is worth reapplying rather than going to the graduate route. These days a lot of medical applicants have to reapply anyway. Graduate medicine takes longer, is more expensive and even harder to get into than undergrad, so should really be the last resort.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.