Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, I tried to fix the spacebar key (since it wasn't popping back up properly) on my macbook pro and I fudged it. I literally only need another spacebar key since I've broken the little plastic threads which lock it in.
    I've spoken to apple support and been to the apple store numerous times but essentially my only option is to wait a week for an appointment, and then leave my laptop for another few days so they can replace the entire keyboard, which is completely unnecessary. The problem is I'm going to university in a weeks time so I need a quick fix.
    If I was to buy a spacebar key off ebay, would Apple be able to tell that this is a unoriginal key if I was to take the laptop in to the store in the future? And since there are so many, which type of "clip" is it for the new macbook 13" retina, is it the k-clip or the j-clip?
    Thanks!

edit: Also, would Apple care if they were to find a few pirated songs or movies? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theCreator)
    Essentially, I tried to fix the spacebar key (since it wasn't popping back up properly) on my macbook pro and I fudged it. I literally only need another spacebar key since I've broken the little plastic threads which lock it in.
    I've spoken to apple support and been to the apple store numerous times but essentially my only option is to wait a week for an appointment, and then leave my laptop for another few days so they can replace the entire keyboard, which is completely unnecessary. The problem is I'm going to university in a weeks time so I need a quick fix.
    If I was to buy a spacebar key off ebay, would Apple be able to tell that this is a unoriginal key if I was to take the laptop in to the store in the future? And since there are so many, which type of "clip" is it for the new macbook 13" retina, is it the k-clip or the j-clip?
    Thanks!

edit: Also, would Apple care if they were to find a few pirated songs or movies? haha
    I've had the entire keyboard on mine replaced at the store within a day, if your MacBook Pro is still eligible for AppleCare then definitely make use of this instead of doing it yourself. Could you find a store close to your university if you can't get it done before term starts?

Also, I doubt they'll look at or care about what's on your machine, especially as this is just a basic hardware replacement.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks!

Firstly apple take forever to fix even the simplest things, and if its not under warranty they charge almost the same as a new laptop costs. I waited a week to get the appointment for my keyboard to be fixed, and then charged £150 when they told me it was my fault (tbf it was my fault). They then took two weeks to fix it.

They'll probably be able to tell that you have changed it, but it won't matter too much. The only thing is the product will no longer be under warranty because you have 'modified' the product yourself. So if its fairly new you might just want to go to apple (its normally free while under warranty).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    Firstly apple take forever to fix even the simplest things, and if its not under warranty they charge almost the same as a new laptop costs. I waited a week to get the appointment for my keyboard to be fixed, and then charged £150 when they told me it was my fault (tbf it was my fault). They then took two weeks to fix it.

They'll probably be able to tell that you have changed it, but it won't matter too much. The only thing is the product will no longer be under warranty because you have 'modified' the product yourself. So if its fairly new you might just want to go to apple (its normally free while under warranty).
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    I've had the entire keyboard on mine replaced at the store within a day, if your MacBook Pro is still eligible for AppleCare then definitely make use of this instead of doing it yourself. Could you find a store close to your university if you can't get it done before term starts?

Also, I doubt they'll look at or care about what's on your machine, especially as this is just a basic hardware replacement.

Thanks for the replies. I decided in the end to just order a replacement key off ebay, works like a dream. The replacement key is also an original off of someone's old laptop, so Apple won't notice
    Apparently, after talking to Apple support, my warranty and apple care might not have even covered a replacement keyboard, which is just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    Firstly apple take forever to fix even the simplest things
    Pretty much the opposite experience to what I had- they replaced the entire screen on my MBP overnight a couple of years ago :yep:

Apparently, after talking to Apple support, my warranty and apple care might not have even covered a replacement keyboard, which is just ridiculous.
    It would depend on what exactly the problem was. If the key originally stopped working as a result of a manufacturing fault they'd be obligated to fix it under warranty (AppleCare is literally just extended warranty with a couple of extra minor perks btw, it won't cover anything extra), however if you had caused additional damage trying to fix it yourself then yeah, warranty doesn't cover that as you would have exasperated the damage past a point that they were responsible for. I can't imagine there's any manufacturers that will honour warranties if the fault can be traced to a botched repair job, as that's not what warranties are there to cover :yep:

But you've sorted it now though, so it's all good :yy:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.