Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm an American high school student who happens to be home schooled (and no, I am not a genius. Nor am I planning to have twenty children). I've managed to get mostly A's throughout my high school years, with occasional B's (mostly in maths and science courses). I really hate to post these, but...

SAT: 2120
    Critical Reading: 800
    Math: 590
    Writing: 730

SAT Subject Tests
    Literature: 790
    World History 680

ACT: 29
    Reading: 36
    English: 34
    Math: 23
    Science: 24

I've not taken any other tests.
    I will be taking a gap year next year in South America, where I will be working with children (education and basic childcare) and helping out with various chores. The host family is bilingual, so I won't get away with speaking only English. While I'm away, I'm going to write for a newspaper and hone my writing abilities, and probably run a blog.

If I studied at Glasgow, I'd be taking English, maybe dabbling in some Journalism (depends how my year away goes; maybe I'll change my mind and just do journalism).
    But as an American taking a gap year, should I even consider applying? I know full well that my abilities are quite lopsided (low math scores; higher linguistic scores).

ReputationRep:
    I would think that because you want to apply to an English course they wouldn't look so much at your maths grades, but obviously you'd have to check what your scores are equivalent to in the british system as each university has its standards and most entry requirements are degree specific, it would be better if you directly ask the university.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.