Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If your parent was having a heart operation, would you go to work? watch

And if so, is it okay to cry at work for this reason?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to the hospital with my parents

I dunno if i should go in. I was crying today at work just thinking about it and feel like a loser now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If your parent was having a heart operation, would you go to work?
    I did, when my father had his bypass operation, on my mother's instructions. She never forgave me for doing as I was told.

And if so, is it okay to cry at work for this reason?
    Of course it is, regardless of age or sex.

But if it was affecting the your work / my work, then I would send you home / ask to go home.

ReputationRep:
    Some people hide behind work, some use work to distract themselves, some need to go to work, some are wanted to be at work, some should be with their parents ...

Really, it depends on what you need and what your parents need. It is not a question of weakness or strength. Some cry easily other suffer in silence ...

ReputationRep:
    I was crying today at work just thinking about it and feel like a loser now.
    What? Because you are upset and frightened at the possible implications? That's not a loser's behaviour. That's a lover's behaviour.

You're OK.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I dunno if i should go in. I was crying today at work just thinking about it and feel like a loser now.
    You're not a loser. We're not talking about some minor operation here.

(Original post by OU Student)
    You're not a loser. We're not talking about some minor operation here.

(Original post by Simes)
    What? Because you are upset and frightened at the possible implications? That's not a loser's behaviour. That's a lover's behaviour.

You're OK.

(Original post by Simes)
    I did, when my father had his bypass operation, on my mother's instructions. She never forgave me for doing as I was told.

Awww.. Mothers hey

Of course it is, regardless of age or sex.

But if it was affecting the your work / my work, then I would send you home / ask to go home.

(Original post by Nathanielle)
    Some people hide behind work, some use work to distract themselves, some need to go to work, some are wanted to be at work, some should be with their parents ...

Really, it depends on what you need and what your parents need. It is not a question of weakness or strength. Some cry easily other suffer in silence ...
    Thanks guys. I don't feel so stupid anymore

ReputationRep:
    We all suffer differently.

Don't feel bad for your emotions, nor feel bad if you don't have any.

Do whatever feels natural to you

Hope everything goes well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd go for the sympathy. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think whether to go in would be a personal choice, some people prefer to keep busy and that's okay...some wouldn't be able to focus on work and that's okay too

as for crying, I would absolutely not feel bad about it, it's a massive thing to go through and no one will think less of you for not being able to cope

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would miss work and go to the Hospital..

BUT some people ik in your situation went to work but there loved one were always on their mind for the whole day..

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't go to work as I wouldn't be able to function with worry but I can understand why some people would choose to go to work as they would find the distraction helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was late picking my mom up from the hospital after she had...some kinda surgery...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I personally wouldn't go to work as I wouldn't be able to function with worry but I can understand why some people would choose to go to work as they would find the distraction helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My mum's situation was completely different; but this is what she said. She needed the distraction.

ReputationRep:
    My father had a hard surgery. I went to school that day. If you trust the hospital your parent went, its ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.