The Student Room Group

Medicinal chemistry vs straight chemistry

I've applied to do chemistry at birmingham, leeds, st andrews, newcastle and sussex upon application i realised leeds do a medicinal chemistry course. Is anyone on this course or know about it? I prefer organic chemistry to physical and inorganic however as I'm not sure i want to get a job in the chemical industry (I'm thinking of doing post grad in marketing) I was wondering if not doing straight chemistry would hinder my job prospects an if its still holds the same reputation as straight chemistry. And also if anyones doing any chemistry course at leeds could you tell me the standard of teaching as student satisfaction is low on the complete university guide.
Reply 1
I've literally just got back from an Msc Medicinal Chem inteview at Leeds. It was nerve wrecking, and I love interviews! But, I'm a mature student so they gave me a proper grilling. As far as student satisfaction goes, the first few years of Medicinal Chemistry is straight Chemistry until year 3 where you choose more specific units for your degree. Bear in mind though that straight chemistry often has up to 150 students, maybe that contributes to the lower grade?
Reply 2
Ive got an interview in a couple of weeks for leeds :/. So are you saying that the med chem course will have less students than straight chemistry? and also in the pack leeds sent me they said that med chem and chemistry only share a common first year and its mainly organic chemistry after that not straight chemistry the first three years.
Reply 3
Original post by .jamie

For the above, yes the med chem courses are typically smaller than straight chemistry.

In terms of your job prospects and the after: if you want to be in the medicinal chemistry area then it would set you up that bit better, however if you change your mind you have narrowed your options somewhat. You certainly don't need to be a medicinal chemist to work for a pharmaceutical company/be a med chemist, just perform well in the organic chemistry areas of your degree. Doing straight chemist will make you more well-rounded at the end of the day, which leaves you more options.

I doubt with marketing it will make much difference. The main thing you're losing is the physical chemistry - which is where the reputation for it being a numerical degree arises from. Honestly though, outside of the chemical industry, I can't see why they would turn their noses up at med chem. It's still a good degree (still RSC accredited too), and they're not bothered about absolute content.

Whilst medicinal is more organic focused, it will probably also incorporate more modules about biochemical/biological aspects (how things are metabolised and so on).
Reply 4
Thanks that's exactly the sort of reply I was after I think I'll do the med Chem course

Quick Reply

Latest