Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I keep being told I lack empathy? watch

I've been told pretty much my whole life that I am quite a frank person but it seems that is cropping up more and more in conversation. I have always viewed this as a positive trait: I am unbiast, I don't let emotions get in my way and I am quite incapable of *****ing as I say it to peoples faces. I often tell people that my tear ducts dried up years ago. Anyway I read online this is a common trait of analytical brains(I study a-levels in maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology) I was wondering if people have experianced the same sort of thing and how people seem to react to this? Generally, I would like to see if this is favourable trait or something I should be thinking about changing. Thank You

I'm just the same :P
    And my A-levels (I live in Luxembourg, so luxembourgish version of A-levels) are very same to yours : Adv Physics, Adv Math, Adv Bio and Adv Chemistry.
    People usually tell me that I'm being hurtful, so I try to control my lack of empathy and my bluntness (but it doesn't always work). However, I think it is a good thing, like you look at things the way they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say being blunt and lacking empathy are quite separate things and you could have one without the other. Nothing wrong with saying what you mean, but being unable to see the other person's point of view is to my mind quite a negative trait.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2015
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.