Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is Economics BSc at Man Uni any good for career prospects at investment banks?
    Would I be better off going to LSE to do BSc Philosophy and Economics?

ReputationRep:
    Which course interests you the most?

Because that is what will get you a good degree result. And that is what will help get you a job at the end of it.

What you think you want to do as a career now will probably not be what you want to do at the end of your degree. And plenty of people go into banking without an obviously relevant degree.

Pick the degree that interests you. Leave the fine detail of the career planning until later.

ReputationRep:
    both courses interest me

ReputationRep:
    LSE anytime. Also better to choose LSE to avoid any regrets and what ifs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GandalfWhite)
    LSE anytime.
    Based on what?

ReputationRep:
    A more competitive university gives employers a degree of assurance that their graduates are of a very high standard. LSE Philosophy and Economics admitted only 29 in 2013 compared to 185 for Manchester Economics. LSE equates to high quality by industry. Go ask around.

ReputationRep:
    A more competitive university gives employers a degree of assurance that their graduates are of a very high standard.
    No it does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    No it does not.
    Then please go to Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is a good ish uni but doesn't even come close to LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiminaM)
    Manchester is a good ish uni but doesn't even come close to LSE
    I know right.

ReputationRep:
    LSE everytime.

Credit Suisse Assessment Cenre - 4 LSE undergrads, 1 Manchester undergrads
    ICAP Assessment Centre - 2 LSE undergrads, 0 Manchester undergrads
    BAML SW 2015 (From people I know who've been acceped onto my intake) - 4 LSE undergrads, 0 Manchester undergrads

Not to say that Manchester won't ever land you a position, it's just LSE has a much stronger brand with regards to Investment Banking.

I myself go to none of the aforementioned universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    LSE everytime.

Credit Suisse Assessment Cenre - 4 LSE undergrads, 1 Manchester undergrads
    ICAP Assessment Centre - 2 LSE undergrads, 0 Manchester undergrads
    BAML SW 2015 (From people I know who've been acceped onto my intake) - 4 LSE undergrads, 0 Manchester undergrads

Not to say that Manchester won't ever land you a position, it's just LSE has a much stronger brand with regards to Investment Banking.

I myself go to none of the aforementioned universities.
    Thank you. Good answer.

ReputationRep:
    Correlation does not equal causation.

ReputationRep:
    A more competitive university gives employers a degree of assurance that their graduates are of a very high standard. LSE Philosophy and Economics admitted only 29 in 2013 compared to 185 for Manchester Economics. LSE equates to high quality by industry. Go ask around.
    That statistic means absolutely nothing.

There is a simple reason for LSE students frequently going into investment banking, the banks are just a few minutes down the road. The same is true for UCL, Imperial and particularly unis like Cass.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Classical Liberal.

And if you looked at other Unis there are probably unexplained clusters of their grads at other banks.

ReputationRep:
    OP - your choice what to believe but if you have an offer from LSE take it. If later you decide it is not right for your career aspirations, you can apply to switch over to Manchester for 2nd year. But, it is unlikely you can do it the other way round. Whatever the reason, LSE's BSc in Philosophy & Economy will be highly regarded.

ReputationRep:
    how easy is it to switch courses undergrad at lse after registration?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.