Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Should i study french a level without doing it at GCSE. I already do spanish GCSE however i want to do french as i think it is a better language. Advice? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    - Are you able to take ab initio French A-level?
    If the answer is "no", it's not advisable unless you already have a good amount of French knowledge prior to starting A-level. Ultimately, it's up to your sixth form whether or not they believe your French ability is at GCSE standard and thus if you are competent enough to do the A-level course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraceTheAwesome)
    Should i study french a level without doing it at GCSE. I already do spanish GCSE however i want to do french as i think it is a better language. Advice? Thank you!

I do the AS having got an A* at gcse and I find it challenging, so Im not sure

ReputationRep:
    I got an A at GCSE French and found AS exceptionally difficult, I highly doubt you will be allowed to do it at AS without it at GCSE, I'd say don't do it, but as loperdoper said if you know GCSE B-standard or above French then it won't hurt to try.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice It has really helped

ReputationRep:
    Gcse was completely useless if I'm honest.

I came in not knowing any vocab that everyone else knew, but my grammar was relatively on point and I'd learnt that after gcse exams.

So I think if you enjoy it and put time into it it'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    How much French have you done before? I would say if you have at least some knowledge of the language then go for it, but it may be difficult if you haven't got a lot of experience with it. My friend is doing French AS at the moment, and she finds it quite difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I did two years of french before GCSE because it was compulsory, and i am happy to spend the summer learning. Would this be enough for me and the french teacher to consider taking me for a level? Thank you everyone for your useful advice it has really helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    How much French have you done before? I would say if you have at least some knowledge of the language then go for it, but it may be difficult if you haven't got a lot of experience with it. My friend is doing French AS at the moment, and she finds it quite difficult.

I did 2 years and would be willing to spend summer learning extra vocabulary. Do you this would enough for me and a french teacher to consider taking me for A level? Thank you
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Moved this to the foreign languages forum for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Moved this to the foreign languages forum for you.
    Thank you
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Thank you
    No problem, looks like you've had some very helpful advice

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.