Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to go inter-railing this summer so I'm looking to get as much info as possible and wondered if anyone here has any experience of it. If so - any tips? How did you plan your trip? Where did you go? How long for? What was your budget like? Was it worth doing? etc! :rolleyes: I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts - thanks in advance for any replies

ReputationRep:
    sorry havent been myself but two of my friends have and they had a great time. Allow about a month id say to do it properly. If you want to do it on any sort of budget, be prepared to go to cheap hostels etc. as compared to the rest of the world europe is a very expensive place. We might not think it but it would cost less to spend a month travelling around far more exotic places such as the far east of south america.

ReputationRep:
    im also going inter railing this summer, for six weeks before i head to the academic hell that will be cambridge.
    havent really organised much yet, but my budget is a grand. its about 250 for a ticket to all zones i think.
    going to concetrate on eastern europe as my bachelors was on eastern european history and politics etc.

am going this summer, so far costs have been

*ticket, 2 zones, £215
    *YHA membership, £18 (international)
    *insurance, £24
    *international student id, £8

plan to try and keep to about £800 in total, should be alright though, can't bloody wait!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds immense, hope you have the time of your life. I hope to go on my interrail one year. When I have the money and the time and the people to go with!

Adam :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I AM SO EXCITED already! Have been in all the backpacking shops looking at all the gadgets. Bf has bought a book called "Europe by rail" (or something similar) which seems very handy - I almost forgot about the E111 form thingyamyjig. We have decided just to see Western Europe, starting in Holland and working our way round in a circle and coming back via Disneyland (his idea, not mine. I feel a bit guilty about going..) This is a VERY useful website:http://travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm

Or at least, I thought so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I AM SO EXCITED already! Have been in all the backpacking shops looking at all the gadgets. Bf has bought a book called "Europe by rail" (or something similar) which seems very handy - I almost forgot about the E111 form thingyamyjig. We have decided just to see Western Europe, starting in Holland and working our way round in a circle and coming back via Disneyland (his idea, not mine. I feel a bit guilty about going..) This is a VERY useful website:http://travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm

Or at least, I thought so!
    I'm going to go Inter-railing this summer.

I have that book. It is good. The Lonely Planet one is better though. That web site looks good as well.

I'm very much looking forward to this backpacking tour. Our main concern is the budget. We just know that costs will spiral upwards and upwards.

ReputationRep:
    <Revels in the fact she has lots of money to spend>

I have already booked a hotel in France and we will be able to stay somewhere gorgeous in the alps and in the black forest. YAY! I am SOO unbelivably excited. I feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    i'm really excited about going inter-railing this summer too.

only worry is i'm probably going to be going on my own. i'm only going for a month and am going to be travelling mainly around germany, austria, czecheslovakia. how advisable do you think it is for an 18 year old (extremely tough and independent ) girl to do this on her own?

also is the cheapest / safest place to stay in youth hostels? if so, how much do they cost? are there international YHA hostels in most major towns?

ReputationRep:
    Look up the hostelling international site and look at the link I posted up there^^ for tips on keeping your stuff safe. You won't be allowed to take a sleeping bag with you (so my friend tells me). A friend of mine went interrailing around Germany on her own when she was 16 and said it was OK because Germany is fairly safe . I am just glad I have my boyfriend to look after me, I would never be brave enough to go on my own!

ReputationRep:
    Look up the hostelling international site and look at the link I posted up there^^ for tips on keeping your stuff safe. You won't be allowed to take a sleeping bag with you (so my friend tells me). A friend of mine went interrailing around Germany on her own when she was 16 and said it was OK because Germany is fairly safe . I am just glad I have my boyfriend to look after me, I would never be brave enough to go on my own!

thanks! maybe it would help if i dressed like a man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndiscoverdSelf)
    thanks! maybe it would help if i dressed like a man?
    Lederhosen definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Lederhosen definitely.
    lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    I went railing across Europe last year (well very western europe) the journey was this:

1. Manchester to London
    2. London to Paris (eurostar)
    3. 2 nights in Paris
    4. Paris to Lille
    5. One night in lille
    6. Lille to Brussels
    7. Brusells to Amsterdam
    8. 2 nights in Amsterdam
    9. Amsterdam to Paris
    10. 1 night in Paris
    11. Paris to London
    12. London to Manchester

It was great fun!

ReputationRep:
    We're very sketchy at the moment but we like the sound of:

Harwich
    Hoek Van Holland
    Amsterdam
    Berlin
    Somewhere else in Germany
    Prague
    Kutna Hora
    Vienna
    Salzburg
    Italy places (not yet decided)
    St Moritz
    Bern
    Lucerne
    Carcassonne
    Parc Asterix/Disney Land

wooooo!

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions will be gratefully received. So far I am going on places with youth hostels bookable online and google image search.....!

ReputationRep:
    Amsterdam is well worth visiting there is so much to do. There is great bars, musuems, the trams, the bycicles, the wonderfuly friendly dutch etc.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact the dutch assume the only reason british people visit the place is for the sex which simply isn't true. We didn't even go any where near the red light district.

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions will be gratefully received. So far I am going on places with youth hostels bookable online and google image search.....!
    My brother did it last year, and said the best places were Bruges (not a nasty part to be found), Prague (cheap and very pretty) and Rome (his favourite place on the trip)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Amsterdam is well worth visiting there is so much to do. There is great bars, musuems, the trams, the bycicles, the wonderfuly friendly dutch etc.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact the dutch assume the only reason british people visit the place is for the sex which simply isn't true. We didn't even go any where near the red light district.
    Yup this will be my second visit! Although, I did indulge in the red light district.

Rome sounds good - *visions of muscular Romans covered in oil...*

NOOOoooo.

edit: OMG it will be my fourth trip to Paris!

ReputationRep:
    Our rough itinerary is:

London
    Paris
    Provence
    Somewhere in Italy
    Venice
    Ljubljiana
    Vienna
    Prague
    Berlin
    Somewhere else in Germany
    Amsterdam
    Belgium
    London

Considering getting a 55 litre backpack, but I think this may be slightly too large. Not bringing a sleeping bag.

Getting a HI card, ISIC card and insurance. Might get a new E111 if I can't find my existing one.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.