Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Amsterdam is well worth visiting there is so much to do. There is great bars, musuems, the trams, the bycicles, the wonderfuly friendly dutch etc.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact the dutch assume the only reason british people visit the place is for the sex which simply isn't true. We didn't even go any where near the red light district.
    Er, I think you've missed out the main reason British tourists go to the Dam.....

copius amounts of weed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndiscoverdSelf)
    hey! i'm going to eastern europe and doing my bit for european intergration. my sketchy itinerary so far:
    zagreb
    ljubljana
    graz
    vienna
    prague
    dresden
    berlin

that general direction anyway. might go to poland as well...
    hurrah! someone else who likes to rough it with smelly peasants and drinking vodka like water.
    stereotypes??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    Er, I think you've missed out the main reason British tourists go to the Dam..... copius amounts of weed!
    I was about to point out the same thing about amsterdam coffee shops,
    but was just too lazy to post a message..

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to go to Amsterdam with my mates this summer but we're all doing stuff (travelling, a group holiday to cornwall, reading festival) and I'd look like a bit of a loser walking round the on my own over there, wouldn't I?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, been in amsterdam twice and its been good!
    Wouldn't go there by myself but definately with a bunch of friends.
    Its our last stop at our this summer's inter-railing trip..
    Biscarosse-Llorts Andorra-Barcelona-Avignon-Monaco-Chamonix-Jungfrau Region-Prague-Frankfurt-Amsterdam
    Should be good, can't wait!
    We'll go around for about 20 days (from end of july to mid august)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legon)
    hurrah! someone else who likes to rough it with smelly peasants and drinking vodka like water.
    stereotypes??!
    where in the lands of gherkins and nasty communist tower blocks exactly are you planning on going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    We're very sketchy at the moment but we like the sound of:

Lucerne

Gorgeous place. A pleasent walk around Lake Lucerne is a great way to spend an afternoon, clean, tidy, and nice people, who I understand are required by some law to be able to speak English.

If whilest you are there you get a chance to go up on the cable cars to the top of Pilatus or Titlus make the most of it, (and remember to wrap up warm).

Best place to chill in Lucerne is the Lido; the transport network it fantastic with it's tram system.

Edit: Nice place to stay - and reasonably priced is the Backpackers Hostel in Lucerne.

www.backpackerslucerne.ch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Expression.

Boyfriend has decided he likes the look of Bavaria now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Thanks Expression.

Boyfriend has decided he likes the look of Bavaria now :rolleyes:
    Berlin, spend a few days there - fantastic city

ReputationRep:
    OK.

Heres my 2p or 2c or whatever.

Buy a backpack from a decent shop, not online. Ive got a 60l berghaus one which was about £80 but I use it a load. As for youth hostels, I swear by www.myhostelworld.com for booking them.

Route wise, this summer i'm off to:

Krakow, Poland (stay here 4 nights), then down to Vienna, Austria (one night there) before going to Bratislava, Slovakia (2 nights here), then back to Vienna (one night again in the same hostel) before heading off to Budapest, Hungary (here for 3 nights) and then off to Prague, Czech Republic (here for 3 nights) prior to flying back to the UK.

We decided to take eurolines through europe to get to poland, going to be a bloody awful trip I'd personally say to go to Munich instead of Berlin. Its nearer where you're planning on going to, the beer is better + restaurants are reasonable and there is a great youth hostel (4 U Munchen) right near the Hauptbahnhoff (something like about €16 a night). I've heard good stuff about switzerland but its going to cost a fair bit (which is why we're mainly sticking to former eastern bloc countries).

Anyway, hope you have a good trip

ReputationRep:
    Krakow is lovely, I went at Easter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Berlin, spend a few days there - fantastic city
    i'm going to berlin can you recommend anything particularly fantastic to do there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legon)
    stereotypes??!
    lol, me too -- I'm going to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, and Montenegro this summer

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thanks so much for all the useful info! I have one more question for those of you who have been - did you have any problems with language barriers? I'm not thinking so much of places like Paris and Amsterdam where there are plenty of English speakers and signs/menus in English - more of Eastern Europe which is less geared towards British tourists and where we're less likely to have a rudimentary knowledge of their language. I want to take in some former Eastern Bloc countries ideally - but I wouldn't even know how to say hello and goodbye. Any experiences or tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hey guys, thanks so much for all the useful info! I have one more question for those of you who have been - did you have any problems with language barriers? I'm not thinking so much of places like Paris and Amsterdam where there are plenty of English speakers and signs/menus in English - more of Eastern Europe which is less geared towards British tourists and where we're less likely to have a rudimentary knowledge of their language. I want to take in some former Eastern Bloc countries ideally - but I wouldn't even know how to say hello and goodbye. Any experiences or tips?

Although E Europe is less geared towards tourism, Eastern European countries are just as likely to know english I think - one of of the issues of EU enlargement is that English is going to be a much more dominant language. Hence Eastern European workers coming to England to work, as they speak the language. Signs will be more difficult though, so amybe something like the Lonely Planet guide which has basic phrases in the back would be useful.

I too am inter-railing in the Summer, and hopefully will be in Eastern Europe for a couple of weeks then Spain/Italy for the rest. Where has everyone been booking their flights? I still haven't got round to booking anything..

ReputationRep:
    *feels swamped under documents and lists*

Still, only 2 weeks now!!!

ReputationRep:
    This summer I'm backpacking around Eastern Europe- my itenary is:

London- Krakow (Coach)
    Krakow (I want to visit Auschwitz and spend a few days recouperating from the coach ride lol)
    Vienna
    Bratislava
    Vienna
    Budapest
    Prague

It's only going to be around 18 days, but I'm pretty poor atm. It'll be my third backpacking trip this year- I went to Latvia for a week in February and Norway for 10 days in April.

Eastern Europe is cool because it's still quite edgy. It's full of have and have nots- you see rusty ladas and trabants next to top of the range, brand new mercedes benzs. It's pretty cheap as well- in Riga I paid £6 a night for a fairly decent hostel, £3 for a bottle of good vodka and about £7 for a really good meal (inc drinks) in TGI Fridays.

Also, in Eastern Europe most young people (and police and stuff) speak passable English- you'll get by with sign language and english. Old people (over 45-50) are completely different though- far less of them speak English and the language barrier can be quite difficult at times. Also signs can sometimes be a little problem- just learn to recognise words like entry, exit and toilet and you should be ok.

BTW- check out www.guideforeurope.com

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.