babycatdiamond
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can someone advise me, I'm asking on behalf of my daughter.

My daughter is 20 and presently studying for her degree in Education and Childhood studies. At present she is on track for boarder line 2:1 to 1:1.

Today was her second interview with Essex Primary Scitt, and was unsuccessful because of her grammar?

The FeedBack was excellent observations, presentation etc but grammar let her down. All of her essays have all feedback of good or very good, and on one occassion excellent.

The problem is I'm disabled and been unwell recently so that has been on her mind. She knew that her literacy was weak, basically she was freezing cold as heating was down in one room and she said just waffles lol

Anyway does anyone think that she could ask for a resit on the schools literacy test and explain the personal problems atm, or just suck it up and reapply.

She works part time for nearly three years , volunteers at the local school and has me at home, although she is not my carer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bcd
TraineeLynsey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you know if it was a grammar test or her spoken english/grammar that concerned them?

Modelling correct standard spoken English is hugely important in teaching these days.
babycatdiamond
Rep:
?
It was her written grammar, English is her first language. When writing I know on all her essays modules they have been in high 60-70%. They comment always on grammar with a range from excellent down to unsatisfactory. All essay have been good or above.
Veggiechic6
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by babycatdiamond)
The problem is I'm disabled and been unwell recently so that has been on her mind. She knew that her literacy was weak, basically she was freezing cold as heating was down in one room and she said just waffles lol
Personally I wouldn't have thought these circumstances would be mitigating enough to justify a re-sit but there's no harm in trying and asking the school.

I must say though, I'm a bit confused. Grammar is something you either know or don't, and once you know it, it's automatically embedded in your writing. If your daughter previously used good grammar in essays, I don't really understand where poor grammar would suddenly come from. If she knew her literacy was weak as you mentioned, then the school would have expected her to brush up for the test. Would-be teachers can't have weak literacy skills.
babycatdiamond
Rep:
?
Exactly!!!! I'm so confused vas well. All her essays flow beautifully.
TraineeLynsey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She probably sat the SPAG year 6 SAT paper from the summer. She would have needed to identify different clauses (subordinate, relative, embedded etc), word classification (noun, verb, adjective, adverb, article, pronoun etc), be able to identify direct speech - all sorts.

We may have excellent written grammar but not necessarily know the names for all of the different building blocks, which would make sitting the test very difficult.
babycatdiamond
Rep:
?
No she just had to do 'What makes a good teacher'? It was under timed conditions and the time limit panicked her. Instead of taking a few minutes to plan what she wanted to say, she just put pen to paper and half way through started to put as much as possible, without structure. She's taking it as experience and building on the things that went wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (58)
4.67%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (137)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (177)
14.26%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (54)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (69)
5.56%
Loneliness (108)
8.7%
Financial worries (43)
3.46%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (66)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (111)
8.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (114)
9.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise