Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my English literature mock soon and I have no idea what I am supposed to do, literally all we have done basically is controlled assessments and little exam preparation.

We have studied the poems, the relationship ones, but I don't really know how to do well in answering the questions.

We are also doing the other paper at the same time, we have studied of mice and men, about a year ago, I've re-read the book but I don't know where to go from there. We are also going to do the crucible, but haven't even started that yet so we can't answer that section, though they are still leaving it in the mock paper.

Basically, how am I supposed to go about doing well in these questions?
    I know its only mocks, but I'd at least like to try and aim to get them right so I can use them as a reasonable basis to improve from.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no A* student but I am a A-B student so hopefully some of this will help. However, I do feel a little unprepared too (I have my mock today!)

If you have no clue what to do with the poetry, I'd suggest getting revision guides, looking at Mr Bruff on Youtube and BBC Bitesize for ideas. Mainly the structure in answering a poetry question, I've been taught it: Mood, Speaker, Structure and Form, Language, Themes and then compare this with another poem. Also, look at mark schemes and examiners reports on the AQA website has helped me. Practise annotating Unseen Poems and also the Relationships poems too!

Of Mice and Men- look at Mr Bruff on Youtube too because this will help getting ideas for characters, mainly just annotate the book, be aware of context, themes, any original ideas you can think of. Look at sample answers, on the AQA website etc.

I'm not doing the Crucible but I assume just do the same as Of Mice and Men? I'm doing Inspector Calls but we haven't done this and it will not be included in our mock so I have little knowledge about that too! The same with Of Mice and men, I'm not quite sure on how to structure it.

I hope this helped just at least a little bit and good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning that structure to essays is really important i.e. having beginning middle + end and when you make statements/opinions or comment on your feelings on a text try to use examples from the text to support it. xx

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.