The Student Room Group

Thinking of leaving uni, advice?

Long story short, not wanting to sound bigheaded but I'm quite a smart chap, with 13 GCSE's, two AS levels and three A levels under my belt (all graded C+).

I've been at uni for my first term, and to be honest, I don't enjoy it. I'm not sure what it is, or why it is, but I feel like my University are not offering me anything worth of £9,000 per year, and in my head all I can think about is the fact I could be earning that money a year instead of not earning it.

I am hoping that there is potential for jobs out there, successful ones, without the need of a piece of paper telling someone I can study. I'm 18, have had jobs since I was 14 and have 2 years retail experience. I'm also a Special Constable.

I'm worried about if I leave uni, I may of made the wrong move and not go anywhere, but at the same time I feel I am going to waste four years here.

Advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
i would advise you to leave before you regret it. If you are not feeling it is worth your money or time then you might as well get out while you can. You never said what career you would like to go into so adding that would help us to give you better advise.
Reply 2
Original post by al_94
i would advise you to leave before you regret it. If you are not feeling it is worth your money or time then you might as well get out while you can. You never said what career you would like to go into so adding that would help us to give you better advise.

Sorry! I knew I missed something.

I am studying Computer Science. It's not what I expected it to be, quite frankly because since starting I realised my love was for IT and Business, not directly the coding but moreso the interaction and working with people. I'm hoping to go into management, linked with computers of some sort.
Reply 3
Original post by harrykirkby

I am studying Computer Science. It's not what I expected it to be, quite frankly because since starting I realised my love was for IT and Business, not directly the coding but moreso the interaction and working with people. I'm hoping to go into management, linked with computers of some sort.

You don't actually need a degree to work in the IT industry. The employers are more focused on your enthusiasm and extra curricular activities. You can always do certifications or online courses which will help you to improve your skills and understanding.
Reply 4
Thats what I thought!
Reply 5

at what uni?

Why don't you just change your course to IT and business? I would also suggest to talk to your Uni counsellor and/or your lecturers to advise you on the options you have. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Shakz
at what uni?

University of Kent.
Reply 8
Original post by cinderella25
Why don't you just change your course to IT and business? I would also suggest to talk to your Uni counsellor and/or your lecturers to advise you on the options you have. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldnt being three four months into my course be too late? I just reckon they will give me a speech on how I should stay because they want my money!
Wouldnt being three four months into my course be too late? I just reckon they will give me a speech on how I should stay because they want my money!

You can try if not then change after you have completed your first year. Student finance works for 4 years so money shouldn't be a problem.

No they wouldn't do that. By changing courses you will still be staying at your current university so it wouldn't make any difference to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many courses in CS allow transfer to IT as there are common modules. Go and talk to student support about what is possible before you quit.
Have spoke to my course admissions officer. They've said I could possibly transfer to Computing and Business but not IT and Business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending