Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Budget is about £500 and i've decided to go with the 700D. i saw a used one however for £360 in CEX Grade A. It looked okay but since this is a long term investment i'd rather have something new but i'm not sure if it's worth paying extra.

Brand new it retails for £489 and comes with a 2yr warranty. The used one only has 12 months and i don't know how "used" it was or even the shutter count. It'll be a few good years before i upgrade so i wanna get something quality that will last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Budget is about £500 and i've decided to go with the 700D. i saw a used one however for £360 in CEX Grade A. It looked okay but since this is a long term investment i'd rather have something new but i'm not sure if it's worth paying extra.

Brand new it retails for £489 and comes with a 2yr warranty. The used one only has 12 months and i don't know how "used" it was or even the shutter count. It'll be a few good years before i upgrade so i wanna get something quality that will last.
    Do you have a laptop you can take along to CEX? If so you can then there are programs you can download that can check a camera's shutter count, so worth having a Google for that. Taking your laptop also means you can take a few test photos with the camera and check them on the large screen to make sure there's no marks/damage on the sensor. Staff shouldn't have an issue with you checking these things if you go into the store during a quieter time of the week.

But yeah, it's a pretty hefty saving so well worth considering- loads of photography enthusiasts will buy camera gear second hand almost exclusively because it can make for major savings in the long run. Guides like this one outline the stuff you should be looking at when buying a used camera. If everything's in order, no reason to rule it out unless you want the surety of a brand new camera.

One last thing to consider, but if you buy new from an authorised retailer then you can claim back £50 from Canon If you buy in the next week or two.

www.canon.co.uk/wintercashback/

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Semi Pro Freelance Photographer and all my gear minus Flashes are Second hand, And upuntill now i have never had a problem, As Gofre has said above takea laptop with you and just check the shutter count against the recommended.

You also need to ask yourself what are you going to be using the camera for, Every camera has a different feel, Different setting and different mannerisms.

ReputationRep:
    Adding to the above I'd also suggest having a look inside the body too (e.g without a lens mounted) and checking the mirror for damage and signs of potential misuse like the mirror being very dirty.

If the test images are ok, shutter count is ok, all of the functions work, inside looks in good condition and its in decent condition externally I'd go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Do you have a laptop you can take along to CEX? If so you can then there are programs you can download that can check a camera's shutter count, so worth having a Google for that. Taking your laptop also means you can take a few test photos with the camera and check them on the large screen to make sure there's no marks/damage on the sensor. Staff shouldn't have an issue with you checking these things if you go into the store during a quieter time of the week.

But yeah, it's a pretty hefty saving so well worth considering- loads of photography enthusiasts will buy camera gear second hand almost exclusively because it can make for major savings in the long run. Guides like this one outline the stuff you should be looking at when buying a used camera. If everything's in order, no reason to rule it out unless you want the surety of a brand new camera.

One last thing to consider, but if you buy new from an authorised retailer then you can claim back £50 from Canon If you buy in the next week or two.

www.canon.co.uk/wintercashback/
    The winter cashback is one of the reasons i wanna go for a brand new. Plus i've been wanting a DSLR ever since the 450D was launched. I plan on keeping this for a long time because the next time i upgrade it'll be to something like a 70D or whatever the equivalent happens to be.

From your experience do DLSRs tend to go wrong a lot? Also what is the maximum shutter count before it becomes useless? Are repairs likely to be expensive in general?
    While a brand new camera is nice, so too is saving money.

ReputationRep:
    The winter cashback is one of the reasons i wanna go for a brand new. Plus i've been wanting a DSLR ever since the 450D was launched. I plan on keeping this for a long time because the next time i upgrade it'll be to something like a 70D or whatever the equivalent happens to be.

From your experience do DLSRs tend to go wrong a lot? Also what is the maximum shutter count before it becomes useless? Are repairs likely to be expensive in general?
    Canon 700D shutter count is rated at 100,000 shots. Usually (ie with normal use and the camera isn't abused) if a shutter is going to fail it will do it either at a huge count or very early in its life. But thats not to say it couldn't fail the day after you bought it, its just unlikely. Still worth checking what it is at though.

Ask if it comes with the box and to have a look at it. If the box is pristine, its a sign the previous owner looked after the camera.

ReputationRep:

DSLRs tend to be very reliable, I've not heard any horror stories about people buying one and discovering a defect. Different models and brands have different estimates for how many shutter actuations a DSLR should go through in its lifetime, but I think most start at 100,000 actuations- this is the figure Canon give for the 700D. Repair costs I have no idea on I'm afraid, it's not something I've looked into yet!

If you wanted to save money, you could always look into lower cost models depending on what features you are after or could do without. For example if you're after something from Canon, Amazon are currently selling the 1200D for £249 before cashback, and there are obviously used/refurb options for even cheaper- check sites like mpbphotographic, camerworld, and good ol' eBay to see what you can find for the money you'd ideally want to spend :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    DSLRs tend to be very reliable, I've not heard any horror stories about people buying one and discovering a defect. Different models and brands have different estimates for how many shutter actuations a DSLR should go through in its lifetime, but I think most start at 100,000 actuations- this is the figure Canon give for the 700D. Repair costs I have no idea on I'm afraid, it's not something I've looked into yet!

If you wanted to save money, you could always look into lower cost models depending on what features you are after or could do without. For example if you're after something from Canon, Amazon are currently selling the 1200D for £249 before cashback, and there are obviously used/refurb options for even cheaper- check sites like mpbphotographic, camerworld, and good ol' eBay to see what you can find for the money you'd ideally want to spend :yep:
    I definitely want the 700D. It's the best that i can afford and i can't think of anything else similar. The 100D is small in my hands and the other Canons arent as nice as the 700D. Nikon's feel awful in my hands. I didn't like the handling at all in the D32/33/52/5300.

I just wanted to know if it was worth getting used. So in your opinion if i found a cheap 700D on ebay or Amazon then it's okay? I've seen brand new ones for around the £400 mark on eBay. Not sure if they're grey imports though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Canon 700D shutter count is rated at 100,000 shots. Usually (ie with normal use and the camera isn't abused) if a shutter is going to fail it will do it either at a huge count or very early in its life. But thats not to say it couldn't fail the day after you bought it, its just unlikely. Still worth checking what it is at though.

Ask if it comes with the box and to have a look at it. If the box is pristine, its a sign the previous owner looked after the camera.
    I've found a 700D on ebay. I messaged the guy and he's happy to accept £400 cash. Its brand new with all the invoices and it was a gift. Do you think this is a good idea considering the used one was going for £360??

ReputationRep:
    I've found a 700D on ebay. I messaged the guy and he's happy to accept £400 cash. Its brand new with all the invoices and it was a gift. Do you think this is a good idea considering the used one was going for £360??
    If it's new with a zero shutter count, and a transferable warranty then I'd go for it. But only through PayPal to retain protection in case the seller is trying to pull a scam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    If it's new with a zero shutter count, and a transferable warranty then I'd go for it. But only through PayPal to retain protection in case the seller is trying to pull a scam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just spoke to the guy and he says he bought it on MadBid and has an invoice, warranty and everything. I'm viewing it tomorrow bur i don't wanna pay £400 cash in case it's a scam.

I can continue bidding on eBay and pay through Paypal but it means there's a chance i'll be outbid and pay more including postage. The guy is local so i can view and collect it if i wanted to.

Argh im confused.

ReputationRep:
    I just spoke to the guy and he says he bought it on MadBid and has an invoice, warranty and everything. I'm viewing it tomorrow bur i don't wanna pay £400 cash in case it's a scam.

I can continue bidding on eBay and pay through Paypal but it means there's a chance i'll be outbid and pay more including postage. The guy is local so i can view and collect it if i wanted to.

Argh im confused.
    By all means view it, tells you the condition, shutter count and you can see about the warrenty. But ebay is a risk whether you pay cash or get outbid. Its up to you whether it is worth it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    By all means view it, tells you the condition, shutter count and you can see about the warrenty. But ebay is a risk whether you pay cash or get outbid. Its up to you whether it is worth it or not.
    A risk in what way? I've bought a bike before for £300 quid and it still works fine 18 months later.

Would it be better to pay £489 in Currys and get a 2 year warranty plus extra battery and lens cloth?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2015
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.