Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently taking 11 gcses (counting english lang and lit as 2) and spanish is one of them. I also take french, language wise. I have been struggling in spanish for a while now and I don't really enjoy it. My teacher is ok but nothing special and I am wondering if I should drop it. I dread the lessons. If I dropped it I would get study periods where I could focus more on other subjects. At my school in a study period you do have to study so I wouldn't procrastinate. my french teacher is worse than my spanish teacher but I just prefer french and I am better at it by far. Should I drop spanish?? Or will I regret it… I also have to convince my parents

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is a more useful language than French, and having qualifications in both would be impressive. I would consider more effective ways to learn outside the classroom (have you got a textbook which is helpful, have you had a look on a free language learning tool like Memrise etc...there's a lot out there!) before thinking about dropping it. The lessons may seem horrible now, but what if you could then go and visit the many countries with Spanish speakers and be able to converse? At the same time, you know what you are capable of. Good luck with your decision, whatever it is!
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by flossy2000)
    I am currently taking 11 gcses (counting english lang and lit as 2) and spanish is one of them. I also take french, language wise. I have been struggling in spanish for a while now and I don't really enjoy it. My teacher is ok but nothing special and I am wondering if I should drop it. I dread the lessons. If I dropped it I would get study periods where I could focus more on other subjects. At my school in a study period you do have to study so I wouldn't procrastinate. my french teacher is worse than my spanish teacher but I just prefer french and I am better at it by far. Should I drop spanish?? Or will I regret it… I also have to convince my parents
    Hey there, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with Spanish. I take French and Spanish too and I find that numerous things I do outside of the classroom help me immensely. For example (sounds boring, but really does work) watch films, news programmes etc. in Spanish w/ English subtitles. You'll not only learn to understand the accent (which will greatly help with speaking tests) but the language will become much easier to decipher in your head (great bonus for listening) — you can also try listening to Spanish music and even having a discussion with someone who speaks Spanish or with your teacher if they're willing. If your school run any "clubs" or revision sessions, you should attend them. They tend to be much more relaxed than a normal lesson and are usually focused on you so that you can revise exactly what you need to revise. As suggested above, the free language tools are super useful. Memrise, Duolingo, WordReference (great online community for language questions there, too) etc. will all help to assist you with your understanding of Spanish. Independent study can often greatly help your understanding and past papers (including textbooks, etc.) will also help you with the mark schemes etc.

Just remember that whatever you do, you should do your best. If you think you can do it, go for it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.