Turn on thread page Beta

FRESHERS EVENTS... the sucessors and the failures watch

ReputationRep:
    hiya, i'm just touting for ideas becasue we're begining to organise freshers for our hall next year and i was jsut wondering if everyone can tell me what events at their freshers worked and which wern't so good.

ReputationRep:
    Bouncy Castles! They work really well at night time parties, because they encourage everyone to act like idiots, its a good chance to jump around and "fall over" onto girls. Now I sound like a letch. Oh well, oh and its fun to watch girls who have too short/loose dresses on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Bouncy Castles! They work really well at night time parties, because they encourage everyone to act like idiots, its a good chance to jump around and "fall over" onto girls. Now I sound like a letch. Oh well, oh and its fun to watch girls who have too short/loose dresses on.
    Beware with bouncy castles though - we had one when we left year 13 and there were only about 20 sober people on it and someone still managed to break their leg (and is sueing the school over it).

We had a Skool Daze disco which was good fun...but that was a whole uni thing. We didn't really have hall socials here (due to it all being self catering, so there aren't big halls in any of the halls or anything), so I'm not really sure what things would go down well. A BBQ would be good if the weather was nice, as there's food, beer and no really really loud music so its easy for people to get talking to one another. I'll have to have a think about other things!

ReputationRep:
    basically there's about 350 people in hall and we have to do events in hall for the first week (thast doesn't mean we can't take the freshers out to club nights or pub crawls though). My halls quite lucky because there is a tradition of returners coming back and there is normally about 30 2nd years to orgnaise stuff. In some of the other halls there might only be about 2 returners so really we can experiment and do stuff oursleves without having to resort to the union freshers week so everyone can get to know each other in hall first.

ReputationRep:
    We had a BBQ which was good, then the general get to know you bar crawl but the first night we all spent around 3 hours getting to know our floor then all went to the bar to meet everyone else later, that way you dont have to walk into an unfamiliar place on your own.

ReputationRep:
    How about an alcohol scavenger hunt.

Basically you divide the mass into teams of ten, give them some cash as a budget and tell them they must pick up all these items of alcohol (For example one bacardi breezer-watermelon-small bottle, one bottle of absinthe etc) and if they run out of money they cannot use their own they have to think of some initiative to get some (ie. dancing in the street, begging for money off etc) and the person that returns with all the correct kinds of alcohol and the most change wins.

They get first choice of the booze and everybody ends up pissed in the end

ReputationRep:
    ^ Aye, but they'd all nip back to their room and pick up an extra 20 nugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    How about an alcohol scavenger hunt.

Basically you divide the mass into teams of ten, give them some cash as a budget and tell them they must pick up all these items of alcohol (For example one bacardi breezer-watermelon-small bottle, one bottle of absinthe etc) and if they run out of money they cannot use their own they have to think of some initiative to get some (ie. dancing in the street, begging for money off etc) and the person that returns with all the correct kinds of alcohol and the most change wins.

They get first choice of the booze and everybody ends up pissed in the end
    Equal opps issues - what about someone who doesn't want to drink?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.