The Student Room Group

Work experience

I want to do either natural science or environmental science at uni, any idea on what sort of work experience/placements i could look into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need work experience - you can do other relevant extra curricular activities to help your application :smile:
Original post by Beth_p
I want to do either natural science or environmental science at uni, any idea on what sort of work experience/placements i could look into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by *Interrobang*
You don't need work experience - you can do other relevant extra curricular activities to help your application :smile:

No you do need work experiance! You really do! It helps set you apart from the crowd if you can show you already have commitment to the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
No you do need work experiance! You really do! It helps set you apart from the crowd if you can show you already have commitment to the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need it - I reviewed over 1000 PSs when the old help service was open and apart from vocational courses, there wasn't any disadvantage to not having work experience. Admissions tutors will know that relevant work experience at 17/18 will be difficult to get unless you have contacts in the relevant industry. What anyone can do is extra reading, watching online lectures etc. That will help set you apart from the crowd
Original post by *Interrobang*
You don't need it - I reviewed over 1000 PSs when the old help service was open and apart from vocational courses, there wasn't any disadvantage to not having work experience. Admissions tutors will know that relevant work experience at 17/18 will be difficult to get unless you have contacts in the relevant industry. What anyone can do is extra reading, watching online lectures etc. That will help set you apart from the crowd

Work experiance is not hard to get. Yes you might have to send off a few letters and chase people up but there'll always be someone who will be able to help you. Just make sure you get it early to get the dates you want. Plus with university being more competitive now than it used to be it really will help. Particularly with the courses that OP wants to do. In a high tier uni these could be very competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Work experiance is not hard to get. Yes you might have to send off a few letters and chase people up but there'll always be someone who will be able to help you. Just make sure you get it early to get the dates you want. Plus with university being more competitive now than it used to be it really will help. Particularly with the courses that OP wants to do. In a high tier uni these could be very competitive

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work at a uni, am a biologist and have also reviewed 1000s of PSs. While it's good to have work experience because you then have more things to talk about and have an idea of what the field is like, not having work experience will not hurt your chances. Not many researchers like myself will allow 17/18 year olds into a lab to do their own work or want someone shadowing them so when it comes to admissions we know that it's difficult to get work experience in our subject areas before coming to uni. *Interrobang* is right in saying that unless you have relevant contacts or come through a scheme, getting work experience in the natural or environmental sciences is difficult.
Original post by alleycat393
I work at a uni, am a biologist and have also reviewed 1000s of PSs. While it's good to have work experience because you then have more things to talk about and have an idea of what the field is like, not having work experience will not hurt your chances. Not many researchers like myself will allow 17/18 year olds into a lab to do their own work or want someone shadowing them so when it comes to admissions we know that it's difficult to get work experience in our subject areas before coming to uni. *Interrobang* is right in saying that unless you have relevant contacts or come through a scheme, getting work experience in the natural or environmental sciences is difficult.

Alot of people in my year doing science courses are managing to get into universities to do work experience such as lab technicians and things like that. My school puts a huge emphasis on wirk experiance. With it being a requirement to get into year 13. They even put a whe week aside for us to do it in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yours is one of few schools that may be lucky enough to have some good ties with local unis. All schools aren't like that or aren't as bothered and so in the interest of widening participation we as a uni cannot turn away students who come from schools other than ones like yours.
Reply 8
Might be a good idea to contact the National Trust! http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, i am starting general volunteering for age uk for the elderly just because it's something i'd like to do but obviously it's not got anything to do with the course i want to study. I am also going to shadow/work with my best friends dad in the summer as he is a conservationist and works on a lot of project so i might join him a few times. Not really sure what else to do apart from that
Reply 10
Original post by lisamb
Might be a good idea to contact the National Trust! http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/

Thank you, how could i link this into a personal statement relating to the course i want to study ? :smile:)
Reply 11
Original post by Beth_p
Thank you, how could i link this into a personal statement relating to the course i want to study ? :smile:)

Well seeing as you're interested in the natural and environmental sciences you can use it as evidence that you're committed to preserving the environment in a practical way. There are lots of ways you could link it, just as long as you reflect and say how it's developed your skills and knowledge you will be fine. Same goes with any experience you get :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending